overall
RATINGS: 770   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Pliny the Younger was Pliny the Elder’s nephew, in the case of this beer, the "Younger" is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times.

alohaC's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alohaC (12) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 5, 2007
On tap at the Toronado. After drinking Pliny the Elder too many times to count, I finally came across the much heralded and harder to find Pliny the Younger on tap. Like the Elder, the Younger pours beautifully with a clean, coppery orange and a nice two-finger head. The smell is pungent with citrus/grapefruit hops, but with less of the sweet pine and floral character you sometimes find in the other good IIPAs. Not a bad thing - just different and you know this one is going to hit you big time with the bitter end of the hops. Flavor is dominated by grapefruity bitterness, but kept in check with a biscuity malt. Mouthfeel is medium and fairly smooth for such a big beer. My only real complaint is I find this beer to be a little more astringent and hot with alcohol on the finish than I like. Where the Elder is the epitome of balance for me, I find this one a bit unbalanced. Some like this, but to me it makes this a "have a pint and then I’m done with it" kinda beer. Another excellent effort by Vinnie, the Yoda of IPAs, but I’d rather hook myself up to an I.V. of the Elder for the night!

BillWyce (1086) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2017
Draft at Monk’s in Philadelphia, 2017 tapping. Pours clear amber with just a touch of a white head. Deep, hoppy aroma, with notes of resin and pine. Full-bodied and somewhat oily. Long finish with an astringent dryness, but the alcohol was very well-controlled. Resin and pine hops flavors, perhaps a note of grapefruit peel too. A note of orange shows up front as it warms.

pushkinwow (2790) - Ottawa, CANADA - MAR 9, 2017
On tap at Capones for the 2017 release. After having a bunch of fun in line drinking a coupe of beers, came in to a reserved table (thanks Matt) and sat down to enjoy the beer. Served fairly cold in a small snifter, side by side with Elder and Bling Pig which was pretty interesting. Younger was dryer and smoother than the other two, fairly strong resin but balanced with tangerine, melon and grapefruit along with a fairly strong malt presence. Bitterness is strong but doesn’t become astringent, boozy and yummy.

tancredonious (1) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 9, 2017 does not count
On draft at Monk’s Cafe Philly. The seven different hops definitely come through, very well-rounded, abundant hoppiness. Not too bitter, fruity, crisp, citrus. Excellent.

HoppyToday (6) - Oregon, USA - MAR 4, 2017 does not count
This beer smells of pine with a beautiful golden orange color. It is very hop forward with a lot of pine and a bit of floral in the follow through. It feels heavier on the palate than most IPAs do. An outstanding beer.

BuckeyeBoy (7680) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAR 3, 2017
Draft pour to take out ;) pours out golden nose is sweet dank hops plenty caramel. Taste is more of the caramel malt sweetness and some dank hops.

fcjack1 (272) - Washington, USA - MAR 2, 2017
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2017 On tap at the Side Street Cafe. Pours golden in color. Very thin white head. Scent is pine and hops. Taste is some sweetness, hops. Both linger for a bit. Very tasty!

kevinsenn (2211) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 24, 2017
Finally! On tap at City Beer, SF, labelled as "?". Amazing pine tropical citrus aroma. Mmmmmm smooth taste with great balance. Boozy, citrus, resin, pine. Awesome. Love it.

Beerhunter111 (20476) - P´Castle, GERMANY - FEB 23, 2017
Slightly hazy golden colour. Aroma of intense bitter hops, lot of citrus, grapefruit. Taste of quite bitter grassy hops, tons of citrus, grapefruit, long bitter fruity finish, good!

derA (91) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - FEB 20, 2017
Thanks to the anonymous donor of the sample: I have waited quite a while for this and I really wasn’t sure if I would ever try a Pliny the Younger. Much as was my experience with Pliny the Elder, I understand now why this is such a defining beer for its style and even its region. Pliny the Younger is a very well executed West Coast Triple IPA, it has all the typical hop notes of a good West Coast IPA just condensed into a much more intense experience. It’s almost oily from all of the hops, brimming with notes of tropical fruit, grapefruit and pine needles. I hate to say that it’s not my favorite Triple IPA but it’s certainly up there with only a handful of others worldwide that I have had the opportunity to taste.

davidm (2080) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 19, 2017
Very long flavour, balanced malt&hops. Lingering bitterness. Great triple IPA.