overall
RATINGS: 700   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
This Belgian style Strong Dark Ale has a tawny brown color and aromas of banana and spice that dominate the initial bouquet of the beer. Lean malt flavors blend perfectly with fruit driven characteristics created by the classic Belgian yeast which fermented this ale. The alcohol content is deceptively smooth just like its sister beer Damnation. Brewed just once a year for a release in January.

weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 26, 2007
Thanks to mac300 for bringing this to our Salvations & Collaboration side by side tasting... Batch # 003 Appears a deep mahogany with a bubbly, 2 finger, off-white head that slowly fades away. Sticky streaks of lacing are left around the glass. Smell is of brown sugar, maple, roasted chestnuts, vanilla cream, raisins, and very mild shake of cocoa. Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a true Belgian yeast blast that is remeniscent of Westmalle with the vanilla esters...could be from the oak as well but I’d think the former was the culprit. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sugary, creamy, and smooth.

drewbeerme (3921) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 17, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2008 750ml, batch 3. pours reddish brown with nice off white head, some amazing lacing too. nose is pretty complex with plums, bananas, coconut, yeasty, baker’s chocolate, and bread. flavor is really smooth and rich. lots of dark fruits, some banana, chocolate, rum raison, and pretty yeasty. alcohol is very well hidden. mouthfeel is full but light. finish is really smooth, dry, and long lasting. perhaps a little more sweetness in the finish would help. i really enjoyed this, and believe its as well crafted as the belgians do it.3.8.

5/4/08, 750ml bottle, batch 3, aged 3 years. pours mahogony with fine creamy white head. aroma has red and dark fruits, with hints of port, banana, and spice. flavors of red fruits, raisin, port wine, yeasty, and semi-sweet doughy finish with hints of prune. full mouth feel and lively carbonation. comparing to the notes of one year ago and this seems more aged with port wine and fruit notes. wonderful stuff and reminisent of Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer aged although this isn’t as rum raisiny.4.1.

NicerInPerson (337) - North of Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 16, 2007
The aroma was estery with a strong fruity presence. Raisins and prunes were coupled with a peppery spice component and an earthiness which was accentuated by alcohol. The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear medium brown with an low, persistent off-white head which lasted to lace the glass. The flavor was bready with a graham cracker and biscuity character. Dark caramel lead the way with a lightly citrus presence (orange) and dark fruits, more raisins and prunes as the beer warmed. The alcohol in the flavor added complexity without being overdone. The body was heading toward medium full and was creamy and smooth on the palate. Alcohol was not especially hidden in the beer, it roused it’s head in the aroma and flavor and warmed the bones on a chilly night with it’s presence post consumption. A nice Belgian Dark Strong, especially fond of the peppery spice. 750 ml corked and bailed bottle, Batch 003.

beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - FEB 13, 2007
After having Avery’s, the Avery/RR collaboration, and now the RR it would be an understatement to say I was a little excited. Pours dark red with a tall tan head. RR just does really well with giving more funky character to their beers. Nice earthy spice finish with a light tartness and sourness in the finish. Light banana and plum fruitiness with a long spicy aftertaste carried away by the high carbonation.

Aquilo (658) - Berkeley, California, USA - FEB 12, 2007
Batch 003. Lovely chestnut brown with a frothy head. Smell and taste are rather subtle. There is definitely spice; perhaps cardamom. I’m not sure that I taste the banana that the brewery describes, but there is a rather mild fruity flavor that is hard to describe. The best thing about this is how wonderfully smooth it is going down. It is like liquid velvet.

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - FEB 11, 2007
Bottle @ Hamiltons. Deceptively smooth. Almost goes down like a spicier dubbel. Looks, smells, tastes like a delicious Belgian ale. A great prelude to the Beatification and Supplication that followed. Solid ale. I’d definitely have this again. And again.

Brigadier (3750) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - FEB 4, 2007
22 oz bottle

Thanks to CharlesDarwin for bringing this to a tasting that he came to while in town a few weeks ago. I was suprised at how ’bad’ this beer was compared to my expectations. While it was above average, my expectations were pretty high based on the previous beers I’ve been able to sample. Having said that, it is still well made and very enjoyable. I just would not turn it down but at the same time I am unlikely to place an order with the brewery for more.

Aroma / Appearance - A creamy clear lacing coats the sides of the glass from the pour until the time it is empty. The head is a disappointing thin offwhite mess that tapers away to almost nothing. Fortunately the body isn’t bad - a tempting caramelly color that filters out much of the light. The nose is typical Russian River with a hint of brett alongside vanilla and a nutty backbone. Otherwise it was a little thinner than I was expecting.

Flavor / Palate - The oaky vanilla opening paves the way for a pleasureable experience which is a union of Sour patch kid residue and cocoa powder. Watermelon and cookie dough come towards the middle of the glass. The finish is dry, nutty and a little bretty. While still solid this does not have the ’wow factor’ of some of the other releases.

shigadeyo (3788) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2007
My first Russian River beer. I have to admit that before this beer I was virgin to the excellent brews produced by Russian River. Unfortunately their beer is just not available in Ohio. However, I managed to get some of their beers (including the Salvation) through a trade with, uh, crap! I forgot who it was. I think it was somebody in NC with the name of Ralph? Roger? Russ? Wait, that’s it - Russ! Thanks Russ! I’ve been waiting to get my hands on a bottle - any bottle - of Russian River beer for quite some time! Thanks!

My friend Rob and I got together on 1/30/2007 for a "Salvation" tasting that included Avery Salvation, Russian River Salvation, and Avery (/Russian River) Collaboration Not Litigation. We really wanted to try all three of these beers together so that we could compare. Needless to say, this was a really nice tasting that really helped redeem us from the sins of drinking bad beer during the less fortunate times in the past. The Russian River Salavation followed the Avery Salavation in the tasting line-up...

Russian River Salvation pours a murky dull dark brown color with a large, dense, creamy tan head (good retention too). The aroma is mildly sweet and contains malt, caramel corn, and some dark fruit as well. The flavor also has a rich maltiness, some darker fruit/spice combination that I really can’t put my finger on, and some sneaky caramel/chocolate characteristic. The alcohol is extremely hidden unless this beer gets warmer than intedended. In that case, the finish seems to be a bit more dry and some additional alcohol is detectable. However, this is such a great beer that the alcohol adds to the overall flavor and experience with its gentle warming presence. I would say that this beer has nearly a full body and is also soft and smooth on the palate. Overall I think this was my favorite of the three beers we tasted (Avery Salvation, RR Salvation, Avery[/RR] Collaboration...). Russian River Salvation is an excellent dark Belgian Stong Ale that will be hard to beat! Even though this beer and the Avery one have the same name and alcohol content, they are two distinct and different beers in all other ways!

750 mL bottle (Batch 003).

Oh crap... I think this stuff was actually sent to me by rOss. It was! How could I forget that?! I’m glad I finally looked at my trading records. Sorry about that Ross. I nearly forgot who the benefactor was for this momentous occasion... Although, you know I’m just messing with you. Thank you so much for sending this bottle (and others). I really appreciate your kindness and generosity (even if you are a pain in the ass to deal with - just kidding)!

auerbrau (3206) - Ithaca, New York, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Batch 002. Faint wisp of salty malt aroma. Nice clean amber pour, shroued with off-white rim. Flavor is a quite sour malty flavor, with some cherry. thai lemongrass and galangal, but it’s not particularly nuanced or distinctive. Composed with some long caramels and a bit of sour oat saltiness. Ebbs lemon tangy on the backend and this joins some bland grape skins. Bite of almond. Not cloying. Yeast begins to dominate. Crisp lemon leaf hop finish. I was looking for more. Thanks Andy!

mkgrenwel (619) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 25, 2007
Rich caramel, but very much mostly tart sour fruit flavors. Plum and grapeskin. Sweetness and sourness are balanced carefully. I was afraid of chimay-like overcarbonation issues when I saw the large head with tiny bibbles, but this is soft and smooth. This could compare favorably to Trois Pistoles. Probably my least favorite RR beer, but looking at the score, it’s pretty obvious how I feel about their beers in general.