overall
RATINGS: 1472   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.16/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 232   ABV: 7.75%
Brown ale aged in Pinot Noir wine barrels for one year with sour cherries, Brettanomyces yeast, and Lactobacillus & Pedicoccus bacteria.

durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 15, 2008
Thanks to Ryan for the hook-up. Bright orangish red pour; a bit hazy. Lovely fizzy off-white head. Yummy tart aroma and taste; sour cherries, lemon zest, dusty wood. Not as intensely oaky as the redemption. A little brett funk, but nothing challenging or harsh. Very crisp, dry finish. This beer is just straight up refreshing.

JAXSON (607) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2008
Thanks to Monk’s cafe for having a bunch of special Russian River beers on tap for the event today. Pours a clear brown with a reddish golden glow. The aroma was very reminiscent of Oerbier Reserva, though a little less complex. Flavor was initially a burst of bretty tartness, with lemons and of course sour cherries. Nice lively yeast, really satisfying. Kind of thin on the mouth. Ultimately I left myself comparing this to the Oerbier, and the Oerbier really comes out on top on all counts. This is good and very well-made, but it felt a bit too simplistic, thin, and uninteresting to warrant the hype.

AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 15, 2008
Pours a light brown, dark gold in color. Smell is tart cherries and funk. There are also some wine qualities from the barrels as well. Taste is more of the tart cherries and a good amount of the Brett showing as well. Tart and sour on the mouthfeel and non-cloying. A real joy to drink. Everything melds itself together well and no one characteristic dominates. Very good sour.

caesar (7170) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - SEP 11, 2008
Sampler, last bit of the barrel, kindly provided by the bartender at Russian River Brewing. Hazy dark golden color, thick head. Delicious tart aroma, some cherry, bit barnyard. Sour taste, sweet, fruity of cherries, slight oaky. Very strong but still subtle. Superb balance, while still complex. True craftsmanship.

gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2008
Bottle, at BA Throwdown #2. Pours a reddish color, hazy body, clean white head and filmy lacing. Very funky cherry nose, some hard malt influence. Big tart funk in the flavor, cherries, some cranberries, nice sweet and dry hay feel. Very tasty, so drinkable for the style, held up very well.

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - SEP 9, 2008
Bottle at a beer tasting; didn’t realize this was that highly rated. Lucky get. Color was orange with a white head. Good aroma; some funk and cherry with a bit of woodiness. Flavor didn’t have as much cherry as I would have liked; good funky and yeasty notes. Starting to like these more, but have had some that I found better.

SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 8, 2008
375 ml bottle, from Whole Foods in Berkeley. Okay, maybe I just need to stop rating beer, or maybe I just need to admit that my tastes have changed, or maybe I’ve somehow now become a beer troglodyte... I have to say it, I don’t like the taste of this beer very much. Can I appreciate the slightly hazy topaz color and the smallish white head that leaves a trace of lacing? Yes, I can. Can I acknowledge the craftsmanship that obviously went into producing this beer with the curious aroma of sour fruits, wet wool, tannic oak, with vinuous notes and wet moss? Yes, I can. Can I recognize the amount of time and effort that it took to create an ale with this character of sour, puckering berries, dry funky fruitiness, wet wood, pie cherries and funk? Yes I can, it’s a well crafted, beautifully handled and uniquely flavored beer. I don’t like it very well at all - too sour, too funky, and overly tart. This beer is a chore to drink, not a joy. So let me not rank any longer among the elite of the beer world, ’cause I don’t want to have to wince, blanch and work so hard at drinking my favorite beverage. These extreme brett and sour ales are just gettin’ too much for my simplifiying tastes. Am I impressed by what wild things a brewer can do? Yes I am impressed. Woulld I buy it again to drink for the sheer joy of it? No, no, no, no.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2008
Batch 2, purchased online from Russian River. Wow, is this beer amazing right now. Dusky brownish-red pour, with a fine frothing head. I let some yeast droplets find their way onto the top of the head, giving it even more character. Sweet smell of intensely sour black cherries along with the deep funk that sits between a Flanders red and an oud bruin. Of course, it’s bretty as hell too (this is Vinnie, right?) and also has a shit-ton of oak in the flavor. Mouthfeel is delightfully full, and the carbonation is nicely lively, not distracting at all. A very piquant, dry finish to this superb brew. Do these guys just rock, or what? Glad to make y’all my 1000th.

SuzyGreenberg (1603) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 27, 2008
draft @ brewery - this brew hits you are hard and thick as lesh’s baseline in the namesake song; dark brown and murky with thin, tan head; thick, resinous aromas of wood, brett, funk, wine and cherries; though cherries are mild in the aromas; lacing as it goes down with lots of funky, thick sours in the flavors; cherries come out more here and also some oaky sweetness; not my fav sour, but very nice

StefanSD (2451) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - AUG 22, 2008
375 ml bottle from lb4lb. Pours an amber color with a medium creamy off-white head that has good retention. The aroma is rich and complex with grapes, cherries and oak. The taste has flavors similar to the aroma, with the cherries being extra tart, the grapes are funky and the oak is a bit acidic. The mouthfeel is smooth with moderately high acidity, and the carbonation is lively and prickly.The finish is long and sour with lingering sour cherries. Overall: A truly great sour ale. Thanks Deniz.