overall
RATINGS: 1474   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.16/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 232   ABV: 7.75%
Brown ale aged in Pinot Noir wine barrels for one year with sour cherries, Brettanomyces yeast, and Lactobacillus & Pedicoccus bacteria.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - MAY 8, 2008
I keep trying to like sours but I cant do it. This is no exception. VERY tart and front loaded. Subtle cherry finish followed by a mouth pucker.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LinusStick (3298) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2008
Holy crap. A near perfect score for me. Amazing sour and on such a different level than what I was expecting. Strong funky, sour cherry aroma. Pour was a nice medium brown with a one finger off white head. The taste was so full and strong I literally said "holy shit" out loud and I am here by myself. Strong almost lambic like sourness with a lot of funk in the front. Then the sour cherry and acidity kick in and bite the sides of the tongue. Aftertaste is mouth puckering sour and very full. Must get more!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Taverner (1100) - San Ramon, California, USA - MAY 7, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2010 Finally getting used to sours. The aroma is all Brettanomyces. Pours a copperish red with lots of initial head, which recedes quickly. Flavor is sour with a sour apples flavor, with the Brettanomyces yeast permeating the flavor completely. Not as sour as Beatification, mellower than most sours. A good starter sour. BATCH #4: This stuff is amazing. Cant do a vertical on these, so no idea if its better than 4.2 or not.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
doubleo (1432) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 5, 2008
375ml bottle. Pours dark orange with a fizzy white head, some lace. Smells sour, a bit citrusy (lemons), and barnyard funky. Tastes sour and lemony and a bit woody with grapes and funk on the finish. Medium body, vibrant carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
can8ianben (1510) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2008
Wow! Like a punch in the mouth, this one gets you in the back of the jaw. It made us all pucker up. Aroma is very reminenicent of a glass of wine, but the flavour is all about lemons and a syrupy sweet feel. Im happy to say I tried this one, but Im not sure how much of it I could actually drink leaving me wondering if I can actually give it a high rating based purly on surprise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianprentiss (700) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 4, 2008
just like temptation, this beer is about 10X better on the fourth sip than it is on the first. the sourness is such a surprise at first it take your buds a few seconds to adjust, but then, its like magic and you dont want it to end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
elcaballo (101) - Beverly Hills, California, USA - MAY 3, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2008 Of the three Russian River Sours I have tasted i think this baby is my favorite. That said I dont think i could drink this often but it is a great change of piece from my standard fair. Pours amber with a pretty solid white head. The sour aroma is immediatley apperent. But the sour flavor is a bit more mellow than the aroma lets on and i think that really helps the complexity of this brew. The fruit comes through subtley for me and perhaps could have been a bit more forward in the taste. But all said i really did enjoy this and am totally pysched to tackle my second bottle when the mood strikes me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kegbear (436) - Orange, California, USA - APR 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2008 Copper color with bubbly head. Nose is tart fruits and sour funk. The flavor is really complex, with the funk leading the way along with a very tart influence. Taste of cherries and fruit. A very unique ale that changes taste as it warms in the glass more than other ales.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lothore (641) - California, USA - APR 23, 2008
A- Pours a deep sunset orange with a 1 finger, off white head. S- Smells tart, cherries, sour funk. Theres a bit of an off smell here that is sort of sulfury. I like sour but the rogue smell really throws me. T- Tastes sweet with light fruits that move into cherries. After that of course comes the sourness. None of the strange smell from the nose, incredibly well balanced. M- A bit thicker than russian rivers other wild ales with quite a bit of carbonation. D- This is another winner from RR. Well balanced, delicious, what more is there to say. Maybe not my favorite of the sours but it is certainly worth a try (or two).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mjg74 (3050) - La Mesa, California, USA - APR 22, 2008
Bottle ordered from brewery. Dark amber/reddish in color upon pouring. Tart aroma, quite sour. A little bit of fruitiness. Very tart up front. Tart and fruity. A very slight hint of sweetness. Highly carbonated. Finish has a little bit of hop bitterness. Quite tasty.