overall
RATINGS: 315   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A rich, hearty ale perfect for the holiday season with a malty sweetness and spicy hop character. The generous use of five different malts is responsible for the full flavor and high alcohol level of this beer Saint Arnold Christmas Ale is best consumed at 45° Fahrenheit.

unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - DEC 27, 2001
Good start once I got past the aroma of alcohol. I liked the spicy, somewhat fruity taste, and if I could have stayed in the middle I would have liked this ale alot. But the strong alcohol finish took away from an otherwise very good seasonal ale.

nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2002
Smooth and creamy, a little malty. Strange aftertaste that somewhat mimicked kick.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - NOV 13, 2002
This is another rating the day after. Not quite fair, but... I Found it a tad sweet and lacking in hop character. Don’t think a Christmas beer should be a hop monster by any means, but it also had a strange flavor again I was unable to pin down. Despite the warm winters we Texans deal with, I want a BIG beer for Xmas. Not up to my high expectations. Not BAD, just wishing it would get reworked. Will try on draught to see if there’s a notable difference.

mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - NOV 28, 2002
Surprised to see this one rated so highly, but it looks like much has changed in the St. Arnold recipes since I last sampled 5 years ago. As I recall back then, this went down simply as a high octane version of the already-nice Amber Ale. I expected more complexity from a seasonal beer.

aracauna (3616) - Georgia, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Nice coppery brown with fleeting white head. Nice dry malt nose with prominent but not overpowering spice (sorry, but I’m bad at identifying spices) but it’ssomething in pumpkin pie (nutmeg?). The flavor is more of the same plus some brown sugar and it’s fairly dry. After a few sips it the flavor fades and becomes a bit bland and suffers from lack of malt background. It’s not bad but there’s better winter beers out there.

jaymobrown (1845) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 10, 2003
Copper color. Good malt in the front, but nice bitter and hops that mellow out in the end. A medium finish with lively mouthfeel. Surprisingly good.

bu11zeye (13029) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - DEC 1, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2004 (Bottle) Pours a dark cooper color with a small head. Descent tasting Christmas ale from Houston.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 5, 2005
As flakes fall in March, it seemed like a good time to enjoy this Christmas brew from my Secret Santa. Medium orange amber, very little head. Slight aroma of caramel and fruity hops. Light caramel flavors, slight fruit hoppiness, mixed with a bit of dirt. A quite decent, restrained English style ale, with an almost American hop flavor.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 8, 2005
Decent beer enough I guess. Watery copper color, slight white head. Dies off. nose is very fruity with a slight chalkiness that is welcome but not too welcome. Jockstraps dance around my nose...hmmm. Flavors are the same, with a flatness that pervades after each sip. Not too appealing, more appaling than anything else. Ehhh

Scubatrip (610) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2006
From the bottle, courtesy of Secret Santa, pours an opaque brownish color without much of a head. Aroma is not too potent, sweetly malty, just a bit of spices. Taste is malty, sweet, with notes of a few different spices and a hint of hops. Pretty refreshing brew, especially on a chilly evening.