overall
Tourpes-Leuze, Belgium
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 2590   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Saison Dupont is a classic Belgian farmhouse ale. This is a beautifully balanced, complex beer that has a refreshing fruitiness and long, dry finish. It is bottled unfiltered so it may be cloudy or have a slight sediment but this is normal and perfectly natural.

For export relabeled as "Vieille Provision".

bgburdman9 (861) - columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 2, 2006
Poured a cloudy yellowish gold color with a thick white head that lasted for a very long time. I could not detect what the aroma was after the pour but as it warmed it had an aroma similar to a white beer. The taste seemed to have a little citrus and maybe some coriander but with a little dry funkiness. This was my first saison and I think after future tastings this style could grow on me.

UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - APR 2, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2007 This was tasty. Hazy like a German Heff, with a lot of the same characteristics if you ask me. Banana, little bit of clove, golden with white frothy head. I almost found an odd hint of classic lemon-lime Gator-aid. I swear I taste a little bit of salt. Very thirst quenching. When I first poured it, I swear it had some Pilsner Urquel notes, but they seemed to dissipate as it ’s carbonation snuck away. I thought it was awesome. One thing I don’t get though, I always thought Saisons were fermented at very high temps. I’m talking like in the 90’s. Yet, the bottle says this style is brewed in the winter for summer consumption since the days before refrigeration. What gives?

papajohn (1340) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - APR 1, 2006
375 ml bottle picked up at O’Brien"s: Hazy yellow color with a huge white head. Funky yeast, spicy, grass and lemon aroma. Flavor is fruity and spicy, light orange rind, lemon, a hint of banana finishing peppery and dry. Medium bodied and smooth with lively carbonation.

jhliesen (836) - West Melbourne, Florida, USA - MAR 31, 2006
Bottle 375 mL--The pour finished with a huge foamy head that left copious amounts of lacing throughout the drink. The color was a very cloudy yellow. The aroma was overwhelming with citrus, mostly lemony smells. The taste had the same citrus feel, especially on the lips.

SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2006
375ml bottle, bottle conditioned. Eaten with Corsendock Wellness cheese.

Poured light, cloudy yellow. 2-inch bubbly, foamy white head. Head present all the way through. Nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of corriander, lemon, spices, and orange peels. Aroma was stong but not overpowering. Flavor spicy, light orange peels, corriander, lemon, slight vanilla notes and hops. Dry finish with mellow aftertaste. Very refreshing! Good carbonation. Setiment settled on the bottom of my glass and the bottle. complex aromas and flavors, all mixed very nicely. I was a little worried that I wouldn’t like this, but I did!

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - MAR 26, 2006
The aroma has blends of lemon, earthines, floral hops, and spices. The pours is a faded orange with a pillowy white head. Initially there is a sweetness and then the hops come through with an earthy quality along with herbs, spices, and citrus. The finish is dry, quick, and refreshing.

OldMrCrow (2446) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 25, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2012 Notes from a 25 cl bottle, black label (purchased in Britain).

Pours a nice fizzy yellow with a fluffy white head. The aroma blends lighter fruity, spicy belgian aromas with some mildly sour, funky saison notes. The flavor follows, surprisingly refreshing, plenty of spice and citrus fruit and belgian yeast; some sour barnyard but not strongly so, and none of the harsh chalky flavors I’ve occasionally picked up in less impressive examples of the style.

This one has become a standard and a standby for me; lovely lovely stuff. Dusty, with a wonderful mineral taste. More lemon than I ever remember atop yeasty esters that one might describe as banana but that’s a terrible misrepresentation -- "Dupont yeast" is the only way I can capture it. A 750 of this is a beautiful way to end a hot summer’s afternoon. I’ve had this at 4.5 for a long time, but I’m bumping it to 4.6 for being consistently mind-blowingly good, such that every time I crack a bottle I’m surprised anew by what a delight it is.

1.4
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Green ass friggin bottle. You think they might care about this lasting through the long haul here and who knows the time and conditions in the store. But no. so I got to open something that smelled like a skunked heineken with some extra sugar and spices. Damn. I give it a bad rating for that, that’s right. My experience with this beer sucked and it was the brewers fault for putting something idiotic like the cosmetic green glass (I guess it matches their colors on the label...who gives a crap) over beer quality.

TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2006
12.7 oz bottle. Pours almost all head. Whipped marshmallow with emerging clear golden ale. Broken lacing persists. Lemon wheat with some barnyard floral. Bubblegum with crisp bitterness. Surprisingly full mouth feel from such a light beer.

alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - MAR 22, 2006
Hopscotch got this nose perfect!! I quote "Fruity nose with notes of green banana, clove and pink bubblegum". It has a dirty unfiltered look which i liked, very fizzy and large white head, it has a kink of electric yellow light density body. Very dry bitter finish. And i know this doesnt sound like a good beer, but it is...