overall
Saku Õlletehas (Carlsberg)
Brewed at Aldaris (Carlsberg)

Style: Baltic Porter
Saku, Harjumaa, Estonia

RATINGS: 393   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
The most delightful way to enjoy Saku Porter would be in front of a fireplace or in candle light during those long and dark winter nights. This beer keeps you warm all through the coldest time of the year. Saku Porter is the ideal accompaniment to roasted meats and game. The fact that porter is also perfectly suited to light various desserts, especially those containing chocolate, may not be that commonly known. The ideal serving temperature for Saku Porter is rather high, 12–14 °C, a typical quality for dark beers. Saku Porter, a unique dark beer with strong taste, is brewed of water, caramel, light and coffee malts, hop and yeast, however, only once a year – for Christmas. Similarly to classical porters, Saku Porter is a strong (alc. 7.5 % of volume) full-bodied beer. A special jewel to Saku Porter is its high, rich, brownish foam.

Note: Originally brewed in Saku at 7.5%, moved to Aldaris and reduced to 7% in winter 2009/2010.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2004
If this were brewed in Germany it would probably be considered a doppelbock. Reddish brown color. Very caramelly, some medicinal cherry, some alcohol. Slight burn for only 7%, smooth, short finish. I’ve certainly had better.

Frank (4236) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 29, 2004
Well, here we go. My first Estonian beer and one of the few brews I’ve tried made in the elusive Baltic porter style. My first impression is that this beers just to damn sweet though it does have a nice medium amber color and a decent head. Normally, i’m a fan of the big sweet beers, eisbock and the like but sometimes if you combine sweetness with dark malts in just the wrong proportions I find it strongly disagreeable. Now, strongly disagreeable may be a bit harsh but I just can’t control my blasted mouth when the ABV climbs over 6.5%. Like all Baltic porters, I’d describe this as more similar to a malty doppelbock than your run-of-the-mill English style. The palate is sticky and thick with just a little touch of the carbonation. I taste some goodness here and there--chocolate, molasses, honey and more but I still don’t really like it. Why!? Well, hell if I know.