overall
RATINGS: 1254   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 122   ABV: 4.05%
It took 2 years of brewing, tasting and testing to come up with the final recipe for Sam Adams Light. We focused on brewing a flavorful, high quality beer with a light-bodied taste and fewer calories. Sam Adams Light is a unique beer, its not a lighter version of our Boston Lager. Sam Adams Light is the only light beer that uses no adjuncts and a traditional brewing process to ensure a balance of flavor and light-bodied taste. No other domestic light beer uses only the four classic ingredients of beer: pure water, lager yeast, Noble hops and barley malt. The quality ingredients that make up Sam Adams Light include two-row malt and some of the most expensive hops in the world, Spalt Spalter Noble hops. At 128 calories, Sam Adams Light features a clean finish and no aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
canary dog (748) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Drank it out of the bottle, just like that annoying douche-bag in the commercials, so I cannot comment on its appearance. The taste was quite good, certainly one of the better light beers ever sampled. Not revolutionary like the hyperbole suggests, but good enough. Maltier and fuller flavored than other light beers. Very smooth. It would be a great summertime drinker.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rhino (57) - USA - OCT 31, 2002
Good taste for a light beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jazz88 (2674) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 29, 2002
Bottle. If I wanted a light beer I would drink this. It has some malt flavors not typically found in American Light beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 29, 2002
Well...not much goin here taste wise. Golden honey hue. Head dissipates quickly. Nose is slightly malty, but hard to decipher. Very smooth, I spose, this is a very drinkable brew, but thats about it. I put off tasting this for a long time, I found one in my fridge and decided to give it a go...I wish I didnt.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
Andrew196 (1625) - Katy, Texas, USA - OCT 29, 2002
Okay, not bad for a light beer at all. Not at all offensive lik emost of the style. It was clean and crisp blah blah.....still a boring, watery beer that worsened as it warmed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - OCT 27, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2003 Light amber, not much carbonation with a wonderful caramel aroma, this is an excellent light beer. I think I like Leinies Amber Light a little better, but this one will do nicely.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
puc86 (19) - USA - OCT 26, 2002
Liars, it tastes noting like Sam Adams and everthing like a light beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
ElGaucho (2394) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2002
Firstly, Im surprised at how many ratings have already been posted for Sam Adams Light a relatively short time after its release. Secondly, its obvious most of the raters have fallen victim to the advertising, and are not able to separate their ad-formulated preconceptions and make an unbiased evaluation based on what the beer is...a light beer. Sure, the ads made me think I would be drinking a beer with as much delectable flavor as the original Sam Adams. So, my initial impression was one of disappointment. However, once I came to grips with the reality that light beers are tasteless for a reason (you cant have your light and flavor too), I began to evaluate SAL as a Light. And as such, it is the best light beer I have ever had. It has more flavor and, with its amber color, is more visually appealing, than perhaps any other light beer on the planet. Move over Amstel!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - OCT 25, 2002
I got some of this for free, plus a koozie from the cool Sam Adams Austin rep, Kim. I think I gave her my ratebeer card at some point, too. Okay, let me preface this rating by saying that I will probably never find a light beer that I like with the possible exception of Stone Levitation. This is drinkable, it tastes kind of like three parts apple juice to two parts baby food. Wouldnt go out of my way to buy it, but I have a feeling that this might help convert budcoorsmiller light drinkers, and if it does, I like its presence! Long live Sam Adams.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
SlamminScott (40) - USA - OCT 24, 2002
Good, but nothing special. Advertising has blown it way out of proportion...