overall
RATINGS: 1245   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 122   ABV: 4.05%
It took 2 years of brewing, tasting and testing to come up with the final recipe for Sam Adams Light. We focused on brewing a flavorful, high quality beer with a light-bodied taste and fewer calories. Sam Adams Light is a unique beer, it’s not a lighter version of our Boston Lager. Sam Adams Light is the only light beer that uses no adjuncts and a traditional brewing process to ensure a balance of flavor and light-bodied taste. No other domestic light beer uses only the four classic ingredients of beer: pure water, lager yeast, Noble hops and barley malt. The quality ingredients that make up Sam Adams Light include two-row malt and some of the most expensive hops in the world, Spalt Spalter Noble hops. At 128 calories, Sam Adams Light features a clean finish and no aftertaste.

DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - OCT 8, 2002
Nice try, but a chestnut color does not persuade me that there is flavor in this beer. Poor head, a whisper of hops, some sparkle...and thats it.

gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - OCT 4, 2002
this is probably the best light beer i’ve ever had. thats not saying much. something new for the chicks.

GregL40 (97) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Best light beer I’ve ever had. Very impressed with the deep color. Solid flavor without that sweetness that most light beers try to pass off as hops. That combined with the lack of calories allows me to give it this relatively high rating.

beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Medium gold color, small head. Light malts, some hoppyness. Has the feel of a light beer, but has some flavor to it. Not bad for a light beer, but as a regular beer it’s a little weak. It is, after all, a LIGHT Beer. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 28, 2002
So glad I got this as a free sample from a vendor, and didnt have to pay for it. I really dont like light beers, but if i had to have one, this might be my choice. Its the usual yellow, fizzy, over-carbonated, rather bland concoction , but it still tastes better than a Coors Light, or a Bud Light. I just hope I never become a light beer drinker, but if you are, then this might be a good choice.

1.1
Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 27, 2002
Macros have made many feckless attempts to emulate micros over the years; I suppose it’s time a micro emulated a macro? While I don’t completely understand the logic here, I’m all for cutting into macros’ demographic. I just hope this isn’t a trend that other micros will follow. It’s a step back, in a sense. Anyway, here’s what I thought: Very lively head with a rich, golden-amber color. Very unappealing nose is reminiscent of wet, rusty nails. Starts with a smooth mouthfeel; finishes overly carbonated and watery. Extremely hopless, but it does have some worthy malt flavors to speak of in the aftertaste, relatively speaking, of course. I suppose I was expecting (or hoping) for more from Boston Beer Co. Not a very impressive beer at all. Although, I might still pick it over a Lite or a Bud Light, if that’s all I had to choose from.

foduck (330) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 27, 2002
Only a step up from the usual crap. The Boston Lager is better. There was the tiniest hint of malt and hops in this, teasing me. Quite dry and bodiless. I guess that’s the whole point of a "Light" though.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Not a good beer. The regular sam adams doesn’t taste good, so why would this. I have nothing else to say.

chunknuts (51) - Watertown, New York, USA - SEP 22, 2002
this beer is terrible it tastes exactly like the lager. it took me over 10 mins to get one of those puppies down and that is about 8 or 9 mins longer than avg.

Suttree (6385) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 18, 2002
Its the best light beer I’ve ever had, which is kind of like being the world’s tallest midget. Not horible by any stretch, but certainly not worth the slight reduction in calories. Decent Hop nose, some hops at the start, but it seems to disappear in my mouth. Almost no body at all.