Samuel Adams 1790 Root Beer Brew

overall
RATINGS: 279   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.44/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
The intensity of this unfiltered brew is immediately evident with spicy, herbal notes of sassafras, wintergreen and licorice. These are balanced with the sweetness of caramelized sugar, molasses, and vanilla.

GregClow's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, - AUG 1, 2006
Bottle from a bottle shop somewhere in Ohio - thanks to HogTownHarry’s sister for picking it up for me! Shared with jerc. Wow - this is some weird-ass shit! Hazy ruby-orange with a tiny tan head. Aroma is VERY herbal and medicinal - smells like some old timey snake oil remedy or something - with notes of dark sugar and vanilla as well. Flavour of bitter herbs, wintergreen, anise, licorice, vanilla, and some stuff I just don’t recognize. I absolutely love root beer, so I wanted to love this beer, but sadly, I didn’t. Like Jer says, it’s an interesting experiment, and I’m glad to have tried it, but I’m also glad to have shared it, and I’m REALLY glad that my wife liked it so the rest of the bottle didn’t go to waste.

Theydon_Bois (21791) - Hazlemere, the lower Xhitlerns, Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - JAN 28, 2018
Bottle split at RB Best Encomium share, Santa Rosa, 30/01/16 - Many Thanks ! Mahognay brown with a thin beige cap. Nose is toffee, soy sauce, light spice, musty, herbs. Taste comprises toffee, dried fruits, spice, liquroice, faded fruits, light oxidised notes. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, seim drying close. This was better than expected considering age and score !

Bill Becker (2049) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 17, 2017
From Jul 2006 Poured from 12oz bottle a hazy reddish gold with a medium sized head of foam that shrunk slowly and stayed for the entire *session. The smell has a very rich root beer nose. The taste is big on root beer and licorice but there's a more dominant bitter/pungent flavour there that's taking my taste buds to somewhere I really don't want them to go. *In fact, I cannot finish the bottle....oh well. Bottom line: Not my "cup of tea" and something I cannot recommend.

mR_fr0g (14241) - Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - FEB 28, 2017
Bottle shared at Ratebeer awards show. 30/01/2016. Huge Thanks! A hazed amber orange coloured pour with a small head. Aroma is woody, cinnamon, wintergreen spices, leather and liquorice. Flavour is composed of cola, heavey spices, caramel, ginger and cinnamon. Palate is sweet, highish carbonation, woody tannin. Not my thing.

phaleslu (10957) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 26, 2016
12 oz. bottle shared by someone in the lobby after the RB Best Awards - thanks to whoever brought this totally rotted garbage! Pours a clear brownish amber with no head. Notes of sarsaparilla, ginger, brown sugar, soda, cardboard, mint, earth, licorice. Light-bodied, with low carbonation and a sweet, spiced, herbal mouthfeel. Quite medicinal after all these years. Oxidized, but I honestly thought it’d be worse. Fun to try.

DSG (15519) - Tel Aviv, ISRAEL - FEB 12, 2016
[1/30/16] Bottle sample at the Encomium bottle share, after RateBeer Best awards ceremony at Hyatt Vineyard Creek Hotel in Santa Rosa. Thanks everyone who shared bottles! Aroma of rootbeer, spicy, oxidation, herbal, dentist. Sweet.

BuckeyeBoy (9216) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 31, 2016
12oz bottle pours out cola brown topped with a small head. nose is ginger root beer sweetness. Taste is more of the ginger root beer sweetness and a odd end.

Ferris (17762) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 31, 2016
Bottle - Cola and medicinal notes. Dirty brown with a small white head. STOP reading and don’t drink this. Pure medicine.

djd07 (16446) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 31, 2016
Bottle. Pours a hazy orange with small white head. The aroma is strong ginger, booze, spice. Thin mouth, caramel, booze, herbal, nah.

slowrunner77 (13368) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 17, 2014
i understand it may not be for everyone, but what a thoroughly enjoyable, unique, refreshing, and tasty brew! a lot going on here...see brewer’s description. it’s dead on. recomended."

KombatAle (129) - New Brunswick, CANADA - MAY 19, 2013
Well I finally scored a four pack of the brewer patriot series. This beer is weird folks. Brown pour with a shitload of floating particles. Aroma of sasparilla, syrup and spices. I have no idea if this beer was actually good or not. It was weird with a capital W! Taste was very sweet and spicy with sasparilla, and A&W rootbeer notes. I dont think this was any good fresh. No way!