overall
RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 3.23/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Brewed to commemorate Boston's 375th Anniversary.

motelpogo (7704) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - MAY 29, 2006
bottled. thanks to linc for pinching this one. decent ruby appearance. not hard to notice the molasses in the aroma of this one along with some surgical dressing. surprisingly dry although with no other real hop character. rough tasting with traces of nutmeg and prune juice, pretty dull texture, not sure who this beer is trying to appeal to

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 20, 2006
NEBF05: Clear orange and brown with a thin white head, rich spicy aroma with a hint of rye and brown sugar. Starts and ends lightly sweet. An odd tasting beer, but certainly interesting.

fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 23, 2006
This beer pours with a small white lace, it has a great light amber color that has a richness to it. It makes you want to drink it right away. The smell is of nuts and raw sugar cane....the taste is a little bitter it has really strong molasses flavors and roasted nuts are in the fore front of this ale. I liked it overall but def an acquired taste which is what they were going for, something authentic to the time.

DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 20, 2005
On tap. Dark brown color with mild white head. Sugary aroma, mostly of molasses and waffles. Flavor is heavy on both of those as well, with the molasses prominent, raisin bread as well. Minimal hop presence, and I detected hints of detergent as well. After several tastings this is defintely unique, though too sweet overall.

OldGrowth (3474) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Tap @ Sunset Grille. Ok nose, sweet. Malty. Gummy, vanilla, molasses, brown sugar. Clean orangy brown color, small to no head. Sweet flavors. Like aroma with a wood/bark flavor. Reminds me of sipping some wort. Medium body, lite creamy mouthfeel, sweet clean finish. Tasty enough for a lower abv. Didn’t make me want more though...

SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 3, 2005
Tap @ NEBF. Pours a reddish color with a small white head. Nose is kinda sugary, some honey like notes, and a bit of cherry. taste is fizzy and carbonated, light notes of molasses and caramel and some dark fruits.

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 19, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2006 [tap @ Bukowski’s 10/19/05] Pours a dark reddish amber, with a small head that quickly diminishes to a lacy ring around the edge of the glass. Immediately, I noticed the thick, oily mouthfeel and high carbonation- this really seems to stick to the tongue and teeth. Aroma is sweet, lots of molasses/brown sugar flavor.. plus a little hops. Tastes quite nutty - lots of nice, toasty malts. This is pretty well balanced, except for the serious carbonation.. I dig this more than most of Sam Adams’ offerings. This seems to have less of the ’rusty’ overtones than their usual brews.

jimmycyo (13) - USA - OCT 19, 2005
on tap at BU Pub, 10/18/05. nice aroma. Smoky molasses complex hoppy aftertaste. Eventhough it’s not a lager tastes to me a lot like the Boston Lager except sweeter b/c of the molasses and a bit smokier. I didn’t find the carbonation to be too high but it is definitely present. A very drinkable beer.

ClarkVV (6708) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 15, 2005
On tap at Redbones, 10/6/05. Orange-honey-amber colored body with a very small head, not terribly well-retained. Head is off-white in color and whispy. There is some spotty lacing created as it recedes. Large, rapidly rising bubbles in the liquid signal, not-surprisingly, the heavy amount of carbonation to come. Dosent seem very unfiltered to me.

Surprisingly (I was suprised anyways) low aroma strength. Digging my head in to the glass, I come away with some warm wood-like notes, molasses I guess, and a bit of dates and candied cherries. Perhaps a little almond-vanilla liqueur-like effect as well. Too bad it’s not stronger, but they choose to carbonate the hell out of it, so it’s their funeral. Flavor is molasses/caramel, berry skins, dates, cherries, figs; that sort of thing. A slight bit of chewiness from the sugar, but very passing. Before I even note the flavor, upon sipping, I’m greeted by heavy carbonation. Fizzy, sharp and obtrusive. The more it warms, the more the fruits come forth, lots of cherry blossom notes, vanilla, sweet cream and dates. Has brief moments that remind me much of the new batch of D’extra. A light sourness on the end, finishing highly carbonated, even after I try to vigorously swirl the glass to get some of the carbonation out. Not terribly watery though. Kind of seems like a dressed up amber ale to me, which I suppose is what it is, ultimately. Anyways, I’m glad I live in this day and age and not back when this stuff was the norm.