overall
RATINGS: 4398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - AUG 27, 2003
why do people like this? It's just an average american lager. It's a little darker and has more flavor than coors or Bud but that's not saying much. Drink real beer!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
haddon90 (1630) - Newport Beach, California, USA - AUG 25, 2003
Not that bad. I like their Oktoberfest. Amber color with a white foamy head. For a mass produced beer not bad at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DirtyD79 (41) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2003
Not bad. I liked Oktoberfest better though. Pretty average color and virtually no aroma. But the taste was alot better than most. I wouldn't mistake this for some frat beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 24, 2003
my first time having a sammy. i was expecting more cuz i had heard some much about it. i was disappointed. however, it was much better than the other mass produced schwag i usually drink.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
FtWorthBrew (105) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - AUG 20, 2003
Not bad as far as mass produced comercial beers go. Starts off with a strong nutty flavour and quickly disiates to nothing but a "cheap beer" after taste; unfortunate, but drinkable if there is nothing else around.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - AUG 19, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2003 I really like this beer and I'm not sure if it used to be better a few years ago but it wouldn't surprise me.Either way I still love this beer.The best "advertised beer"(eww yuk).Fat head/good lace/great hop aroma/Malt fest that is unique and enjoyable yet overfilling.3.5 on draft/3.0 in bottles.On draft it's the real thing.The bottles are cooked a bit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxwellplum (54) - USA - AUG 17, 2003
I'm not a lager fan, they serve to quench my thirst only. But this is a lager I would request, it's nicely hopped, more than I expected from a lager, and the nutty flavor is also a pleasant surprise for me. It's a good brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwyerpg (5829) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 14, 2003
Beautiful orange-red, with a tasty yet quick disappearing head. Very hoppy yet has a weak finish. Reminds me very much of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but not quite as strong or good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Nice amber color. Noticed hints of spices all through this backed up by a sweet nutty flavor. I'd have expected less from any lager. Really pretty damn good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
amx83 (29) - Brampton, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 8, 2003
I heard good things about this beer but I was unimpressed. Nice brown/amber colour and nutty aroma. Sweet nutty taste in the beginning, but too much of a bitter finish for my liking.