overall
RATINGS: 4412   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxwellplum (54) - USA - AUG 17, 2003
I'm not a lager fan, they serve to quench my thirst only. But this is a lager I would request, it's nicely hopped, more than I expected from a lager, and the nutty flavor is also a pleasant surprise for me. It's a good brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwyerpg (5883) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 14, 2003
Beautiful orange-red, with a tasty yet quick disappearing head. Very hoppy yet has a weak finish. Reminds me very much of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but not quite as strong or good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 10, 2003
Nice amber color. Noticed hints of spices all through this backed up by a sweet nutty flavor. I'd have expected less from any lager. Really pretty damn good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
amx83 (29) - Brampton, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 8, 2003
I heard good things about this beer but I was unimpressed. Nice brown/amber colour and nutty aroma. Sweet nutty taste in the beginning, but too much of a bitter finish for my liking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 15/20
garrison (812) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 5, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2005 Not bad for a local (made in Cincinnati, Ohio) brew... still, there are better lagers out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sigmund (7038) - Tau, NORWAY - AUG 4, 2003
(Bottle). Amber/deep golden colour, good head. Smells and tastes like a cross-breed between an ale and a lager. Flowery perfumed aroma (not unpleasant), malty flavour (a tad too sweet), plenty of bitterness in the aftertaste - but COMPLEX is not the word I would use. Decent (and of course infinitely better than the BMC stuff), but I'm sure there are better American beers out there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
monkeyman (57) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Best by 09-(presumably)03. What is it about this stuff? An incredibly schizophrenic juxtaposition of what may be Cascade and Saaz hops in a lager? Bland anoymous malts. Whatever the intent, this stuff always makes me pucker and I seldom have another.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Among the first macro-micro beers available nationwide, once this brew had lots of character but sadly it has become the former shell of itself. That said, I have had and will continue to have these as I transverse through America's airports, on my way to another business/beer trip. That's what this beer has become, the American Airport Lager. Easy to drink, quickly if need be to make connection. Not offensive except for the cardboard lingering aftertaste. Quaffable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerSlacker (34) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 28, 2003
My first "beer epiphany" when I originally had it. Sadly, it isn't brewed to the same quality that is once was (they no longer claim to use noble hops on the bottle label). Sweet nose leads to a malty body, drying to a British hop finish. Not nearly as hoppy as it once was, but still a very respectable beer, and always a solid choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Not a bad beer, nice color, decent aroma. This is what you pick when you are at a place that doesn't have a quality beer selection. Draft or bottle it is truly a stable choice.