overall
RATINGS: 4437   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

dev (50) - Savannah, Missouri, USA - DEC 29, 2002
I was really looking forward to this beer after reading all the fine reviews. It really looked good in the glass, nice color and good head. Then I smelled it. It smelled like paint. It tasted like a mixture of paint and soap. Now I know how they got the color and head, red paint and soap. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed. I did try another to see if it was just this bottle. Tasted the same. Gave the rest to my son in law.He said the same thing. Very dissappointed.

homerman (40) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - DEC 29, 2002
I was much impressed by the beautifull malt flavor. The head was full and frothy. the hops left me wanting more. P.V.B. gave me my first bottle. Thanks Paul.

chrisfor (10) - USA - DEC 28, 2002
Great taste and after taste. Still a favorite of mine and always will be.

zygomatic99 (17) - Little Rock, Arkansas, USA - DEC 28, 2002
Man I like this beer. Even though this stuff is moving into the mass produced arena, Boston Beer has stayed true to the original. Very consistently good beer from the tap or in the bottle. Nice ever-so-slightly bitter front end with a sweet palatability to it. Pretty dry on the aftertaste. This is a good beer, and it is now widely available.

freekyp (2192) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2010 I cannot help comparing every lager I drink to Sam Adams. It was the first ’real’ beer I tried. Always a great tap beer. Suffers more than most from the bottle. Spicy hop flavor. Nice noble twang in the spicy fade. Good food pairing beer as it works with just about everything.

JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - DEC 27, 2002
The bottle & tap version were identical, some nice sweet tones that finished dry with the ever-so-light hop cameo appearance. They have changed the labels to more like every other big American brewery. I’d love to hear the strategy there!!!

Jfishback13 (273) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - DEC 26, 2002
This is a decent, not as run-of-the-mill as macrobrews, but not distinctive enough to go for again kinda beer.

LadyBeerLover (70) - Benton, Arkansas, USA - DEC 19, 2002
hmmmmm, good but not my choice in beer

crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - DEC 18, 2002
nothing in this beer real jumps out to me as unique. Still id drink it over a bud

khayman70 (153) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002