overall
RATINGS: 4424   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
CBCPaleAle (73) - Ohio, USA - OCT 27, 2004
This beer just never did it for me. Maybe because Im not a big lager fan. Too bad their ale didnt get the sales push that this did.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DaveB (73) - Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 26, 2006
Tried in on tap a few days ago. I had not had a Sam Adams on tap in a long time. Nice color not too heavy. Served in an ice cold 24 ounce mug. I liked it much better than the 1st time.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - APR 15, 2007
Overall a good beer. I especially like that his is often a choice in airports and such along side many other inferior beers. Although no complexity, it does offer a nice flavor with a decent maltiness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JohnCoyne (73) - Alabama, USA - JAN 30, 2008
Pours a brown amber color with a white medium head that lasted a short amount of time. Smells of roasted malt. A slight alcohol taste is also present with an odd bitterness under the tongue. A bitter finish with a slight chemical aftertaste. A creamy mouthfeel. Not an unpleasant beer but the finish leaves me wanting to rinse my mouth out.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
ericmoss3799 (73) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - OCT 17, 2001
I am an Ale drinker, but this is one of the few lagers that I like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
polaxis (73) - SWITZERLAND - FEB 4, 2014
330 ml, at home, @10C A true beer by which all lagers should be judged. The full flavored body and hoppiness with hints of citrus make it one of my favourite US lagers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Cluniac (73) - - DEC 26, 2014
One if my favorite standard lager readily available in the us. Surely no where near the class of stronger belgian style ales which are my favorites. However far better than cheap american beers

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jjw2000 (72) - USA - MAR 28, 2003
UPDATED: APR 22, 2003 Smooth with a medium body and great flavor. My standby in pubs, although I have noticed a substantial difference in quality in different establishments.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
IDogg (72) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 17, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2003 A great lager with a nice color and hop aroma. Full of flavor...almost too much. Goes down slightly less than smoothly but really stands out. Can't compare to most cheap and common bar beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thenumber1g (72) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Classic beer that will never get old! Of course I enjoy some other Sam Adams beer a little bit more however you cant overlook this beer, its great!