overall
RATINGS: 4424   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SudsMaster (68) - Denville, New Jersey, USA - MAR 3, 2002
This beer is not very impressive. Looks good in the glass but its aftertaste reminded me of the same aftertaste that i get from cheap beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon. I like the Octoberfest and the Old Fezziwig Ale much better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Perdue46 (68) - USA - OCT 10, 2002
I found this beer to taste quite good. I enjoyed the great flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
joefflin (68) - USA - NOV 3, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2006 A great lager. As stated in previous reviews, this is a great beer to start off your beer tasting. A solid lager with a defining taste. Caramel. Do not pass.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
stiffy42j (68) - Brunswick, Georgia, USA - NOV 30, 2006
amber with small head...smells sweet...tangy light orange..pretty good for the cost and availability

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SirSlarty (68) - Reading, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2007
From a bottle. Very heavy in flavor like they claim. Bitter taste but not overly obnoxious and extremely hoppy. Dark amber color and keeps a great head. I get fruity tastes once in a while on my taste buds.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beezz86 (68) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUN 24, 2008
Bottle. Poured a clear orange color with a nice off-white head. I thought it had a very hoppy aroma with obvious scents of floral and spices. The beer went down with a medium body, oily texture, average carbonation. I thought the beer had a nice bitterness to it giving it a hoppy flavor. Overall, I was impressed with this beer as I have not tried many lagers. This provides me with a nice option to the standard beers served in my local bars.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JPMarat (68) - GREECE - OCT 25, 2010
Finally a great lager!Arousing aroma and refreshing taste and a foam that stays!Absolutely great beer,although,as any lager the pate was not something exceptional.Totally refreshing anyway,surprised me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Vikingbeau (67) - Albertville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2002
She is an orange amber in color...she gives good head and leaves lots of lace. She has a hoppy flavored snatch with a mild finish. Solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
vacek (67) - College Station, Texas, USA - MAR 19, 2002
I always seem to enjoy this one. Probably one of the best lagers that I can get in these parts. Taste has some bite. No too hoppy which is good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GPyott (67) - Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Full malt body which is complemented by the mild hop finish. One of the greatest of go-to beers when youre undecided at the liquor store or bar.