overall
RATINGS: 4398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
cowboy7096 (64) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Sam Adams products have always been my fav main stream beer. I can pick them up at any local store around here and they are a decent price. I poured this from a bottle, into a pint glass. Nice amber apperance. It has a very nice dark flavor. A hard bite followed by a smooth after taste. I think the taste is better once it starts to warm, but Im wierd. I would recommend any SA products to any level of beer lover.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
MatKool (64) - CANADA - OCT 8, 2006
Pours a copper brown in color with a short head. A little skunky in scent. Strong hop taste with an alcohol finish. Good if you like bitter lagers.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Eells (64) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 27, 2010
I think everyone at this site has tried a Sam Adams Boston Lager, no need for unnessasary details.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Vas (64) - NEW ZEALAND - JAN 31, 2011
12 oz bottle. This was recommended to me by Pintley but Im not sure why. Without a doubt the best U.S. lager Ive had - but that is saying very very little. Had that distinctly lager aroma, sort of clean, crisp slightly sulphurous, hint of hops. Taste was pleasantly malty in an unassuming kind of way. Some hop bitterness but not much flavour, after all the gushing about noble hops was expecting a little more. Then again this wee bottle has come a long way and hop flavour does fade. Im not sorry I tried this but I wouldnt buy another one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Namespayne (64) - - DEC 3, 2014
12oz bottle in pint glass. Medium-Dark amber color, 4fin of tall foamy bubbly khaki head. Smells of floral hops, Tastes of hops and oak barrel. Old timey and old-towny, smooth with bitter finish. Pretty good balance of hops, which I always think is a fine quality in a standard brew. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
scantron (63) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 27, 2011
June 26, 2011;4.8% abv; draught in 20 oz branded glass at Harbour Grille, Toronto. Light flowery and fruity hop aromas with some caramel malts. Poured clear with a dark golden colour. A beautiful pillowly head of 1.5" with light visible carbonation. Looks tasty. Grapefruit and light bitterness, with caramely malts up front. Quite surprising for me. Bitterness leads to a slightly sour aftertaste. A refreshing carbonation yet fuller and smoother body similar to that of an ale. Finish is slightly astringent. A lot more hops aroma and taste than I would expect from anything called a lager. Better tasting than my meal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
alexcandy (63) - Whitstable, Kent, ENGLAND - JAN 9, 2011
Aroma - citrus & hops Appearance - Honey in colour, very light head Taste - carbonated, spice, pine, alcohol Overall - I have had this a few years ago on tap and I am sure that it tasted better. I saw this in a supermarket in the UK so bought a bottle. I dont think I am really a lager fan so I maybe not the best person to judge this. To me its just ok better than a lot of lager but I would not rush out to find another bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimrockford (63) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 12, 2006
12 ounce bottle, malt aroma little hops nice clean look and clean flavor nice ending

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
noy-zee (63) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 4, 2002
excellent lager, smooth drinking, great taste. one of my first choices to drink with pizza

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dimitri99 (63) - USA - OCT 2, 2004
I like Sam Addams. Its one of the better beers widely drank up here in Massachusetts.