overall
RATINGS: 4400   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
alexcandy (63) - Whitstable, Kent, ENGLAND - JAN 9, 2011
Aroma - citrus & hops Appearance - Honey in colour, very light head Taste - carbonated, spice, pine, alcohol Overall - I have had this a few years ago on tap and I am sure that it tasted better. I saw this in a supermarket in the UK so bought a bottle. I dont think I am really a lager fan so I maybe not the best person to judge this. To me its just ok better than a lot of lager but I would not rush out to find another bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
scantron (63) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 27, 2011
June 26, 2011;4.8% abv; draught in 20 oz branded glass at Harbour Grille, Toronto. Light flowery and fruity hop aromas with some caramel malts. Poured clear with a dark golden colour. A beautiful pillowly head of 1.5" with light visible carbonation. Looks tasty. Grapefruit and light bitterness, with caramely malts up front. Quite surprising for me. Bitterness leads to a slightly sour aftertaste. A refreshing carbonation yet fuller and smoother body similar to that of an ale. Finish is slightly astringent. A lot more hops aroma and taste than I would expect from anything called a lager. Better tasting than my meal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
andrewlol (63) - san antonio, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2012
My go to beer, if nothing else is really available I always go for this one. Taste is mostly roasty and a bit of spice I think. This beer will always have a place in my heart.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
Minamizawa (62) - Aarhus, DENMARK - AUG 20, 2004
This beer could simply not impress me after a Boston ale. It has a OK creamy head, but it disapears rater quickly. Disapointing aroma. The taste is to plain and is slightly metalic. Weak finish...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jrt (62) - USA - FEB 28, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2007 Not bad for a beer you can get just about anywhere. Doesnt look or smell breathtaking, but some acceptable flavor is there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ohnoitskristin (62) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - AUG 12, 2006
On tap at a dodger game in LA. Aroma was slight hoppiness with some citrus background. Had a great, crisp bite to it with a medium body of malt flavoring. Washed it down with my all-beef dodger dog so it wasnt that bad but a great staple in the lager world!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeNobleDark (62) - Allendale, Michigan, USA - MAR 9, 2007
UPDATED: APR 14, 2007 You cant find a better lager out there than Sam Adams. This brew boasts experience and perfection in nearly every aspect of brewing. The aroma is a beautiful mixture of spices, malt, and caramel. The appearance is a stunning amber/chocolate color. The flavor is complex and developed: great texture, hops, and undertones of caramel will please your palate. The aftertaste is enjoyable, but it wont last long, because your next sip will interrupt it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
CheersBabe (62) - USA - APR 24, 2007
I enjoy this beer. For lagers, this has tons of taste. You can really taste the hops in this beer. Not my favorite, but close for my favorite lagers.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
zethca (62) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 6, 2007
Bottle. Dark gold body and nice small head. One of the best easily accessible lagers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sciencedude (62) - USA - OCT 3, 2010
Very nice beer. Has a nice light, carmel color with a hoppy, but not bitter taste. Slight roasty or toasty taste, but definitely still like beer. The palate is slight and the foam is white and very light which results in a nice sensation. The best cheap beer out there.