overall
RATINGS: 4412   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lager also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worlds oldest hops growing area. Among the worlds most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
slowrunner77 (11029) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JUL 26, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2014 "not full and rich compared to what i really like to drink, but an ok enough effort nonetheless. i prefer the ale to the lager ever so slightly. good malty backbone and decent balance, just a little boring."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
shrubber85 (11011) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - DEC 20, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2007 Bottle. Subtle malt and hops aroma. Light amber color with moderate head. Moderate bready malt and hop finish. Had a sample at the Boston brewery - so much better fresh. Still usually the best choice availble at most chain restaurants.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
daknole (10923) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 18, 2008
I have never been a fan of their "flagship" beer. Something just doesnt sit right. Dont get me wrong, it blows any macro brew out of the water...but I try not to drink this too much.

hopscotch (10901) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 Damn, I was obviously freakin' rocked when I rated this beer. My rating remains the same, but for God's sake, War and Peace was written in less time. I was obviously drunk off my ass. I don't even like Hendrix. I wonder if Jim Koche can play guitar?... This beer rocks. After stepping up onto my soapbox, I say...This beer is to American MicroBrews as Cal Ripken was to the current generation of tall, powerful shortstops... as Jimi Hendrix was to Eddie Van Halen and all that followed in his footsteps. This is the beer that started the American Craft-Brew Rennaisance that we are now lucky enough to be experiencing. Oh sure, today you can buy this beer at any supermarket or quickshop. However, I remember my early college days when the only beers available at the local spirit shop were flavorless, macro-brewed American Pilseners, a few flavorless, macro-brewed imports from Holland or Germany, and of course, the new kid on the block... Sam Adams Boston Lager. I remember how this lager's hearty, malty flavor ruined me for all other American beers. It cost a lot of money compared to all other domestics, but I would save my pennies just so I would no longer be forced to drink Coors or Genesee (my two favorites at the time)on the weekends. The commercial description above pretty much says it like it is; although, I personally don't detect anything 'sweet' within this beer. The nose is straightforward...malt and hops. The flavor is very well balanced, although I forgive it for being a bit on the malty side since I really dig malt. I mean, c'mon, your reading the words of a person who drank nothing as a kid except Ice Cream Malts and Malted milk. Now, back on my soapbox. I try not to take this extremely available lager for granted. I drink this beer at least once per month. This site wouldn't exist today if not for Samuel Adam's Boston Lager. All hail Cal Ripken, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Koche. BTW, my score, although not far from the way I see it, is inflated for sentimental reasons. Thanks for listening.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
kp (10883) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Name: Boston Lager
Date: 01/01/2003
Mode: Bottle
Source: Bullocks

Clear amber, thin fine white head, sweet malty aroma, light malt flavor, touch of carmel sweetness, nice balancing bitterness, good but boring

Aroma: 5/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 5/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 10/20
Rating: 2.6/5.0
Score: *4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mR_fr0g (10613) - Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - JUN 27, 2013
This is a beer that I can drink pints of. And I have done tonight. . Light amber persistent dense white head. Aroma is light floral, minerall and slight sweet caramel. Flavour is light caramel, slight grass floral hop. Very drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
adnielsen (10580) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 2, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2011 Tasted from a 12 oz bottle purchased in Fort Collins, Colorado. Pours a light orange-amber appearance with a light-medium head. Aroma is a mostly malty. Mostly malty but somewhat sweet flavor. Good session brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
KimJohansen (10451) - Frederiksberg C, Dnemark, DENMARK - APR 17, 2008
Clear amber with large off white head. Sweet fruity aroma with caramel and light hoppy notes. Flavor goes same way but has some off notes. Ends slightly bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pivnizub (10357) - Bochum, Porř, GERMANY - JUN 5, 2006
Bottle: Light amber coloured, small, but firm off-white head; sweet-malty, a bit toasted aroma with a big touch of herbal hoppiness; distinctive bitter flavour; malty, nutty finish with a long, hoppy, herbal aftertaste. Superb ! Spicy and smooth.........

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
faroeviking (10295) - FAROE ISLANDS - DEC 2, 2006
Bottle. Amber colour with an nice though average head. Hoppy floral aroma and some sweetness. The flavour is fruity and dry with malts. Nice semi-dry long lasting aftertaste. What a great brew indeed!