overall
RATINGS: 4437   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAY 24, 2002
My favourite lager. A good stand by in bars where everything else has ’lite’ in the title. Well balanced, crisp, and drinkable. Not exactly a complex finish but decently hopped. Surprisingly bitter, actually.

SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 19, 2002
enough already

Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 3, 2002
These guys get points for having raised consciousness about microbrewing, but their flagship lager isn’t their best brew.

softale (188) - Michigan, USA - AUG 13, 2002
Nice amber color certainly looks good. But looks can be deceiving. This is a pretty average tasting beer with a little more roasted malt flavor than a macro-lager IMO. But it is widely available and sometimes the best choice where there is limited availability of better beers.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 12, 2002
one of the better lagers out there. golden orangy colour. some sweet maltiness and decent hops.

gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - SEP 15, 2002
i had never been very impressed by this beer when i had tried it previously. but i decided to try it again and its not too bad. decent hop and malt flavor but still its nothing that i would drink on a regular basis

iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 21, 2002
I remember having only small sips of sam adams and basically spitting it out all over the place because of the soapy water flavour, but last night a good buddy of mine got me one at a blues bar in Chicago. Knowing that spitting wasn’t an option, I braced for my first swig. . .and was pleasantly surprised. There was a refreshing hoppy flavour that I wasn’t expecting. Though it wasn’t the greatest beer I have ever had, it was loads better than what I was bracing myself for.

freekyp (2192) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 28, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2010 I cannot help comparing every lager I drink to Sam Adams. It was the first ’real’ beer I tried. Always a great tap beer. Suffers more than most from the bottle. Spicy hop flavor. Nice noble twang in the spicy fade. Good food pairing beer as it works with just about everything.

poolshark99 (10) - Garden CIty, New York, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Super smooth with a great presentation in a glass.

tex (52) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 2, 2003
This beer is a beautiful pour, but I think it’s pretty middle of the road as far as flavor and quality. I think it’s a great beer by which to rate other beers. Fairly distinct aroma, great amber color, and a bitterish sparkling taste.