overall
RATINGS: 1303   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Samuel Adams partnered with Scharffen Berger Chocolate to develop their newest innovation, Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock. Tettnang Tettnanger and Spalt hops were hand-selected from the worlds oldest growing area and combined with a complex selection of malts including two row Pale, Munich and caramel to create a rich and satisfying brew. This dark beer has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate. The chocolatiers at Scharffen Berger crafted an exclusive blend of chocolate for Samuel Adams made with cocoa beans from Ghana called forastero. Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of this chocolate to create its unique layers of flavor. As the beer matured, the fruity, tart, earthy and chocolate aromas were infused into the liquid to give the brew a complex, full-bodied taste with a velvety finish. A hint of vanilla was added to meld the symphony of flavors together. Due to legal restrictions, Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Utah.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Pours a reddish brown color. Strong chocolate aroma, and the flavor is dominated by chocolate, the bock takes a back seat but provides a solid background. I think this may be the best use of chocolate Ive tasted in a beer. Thick rich and milky. This has a deep embedded real cocoa flavor. Dessert. Maybe Sams best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2004 Sampled a bottle of the first bottling from my cellar. This is a chocolate lovers dream. Who needs Hersheys syrup! Ok, its my 50th and I went for a gimmicky beer. I was pleasantly surprised with this beverage. The pour was slightly undercarbonated. I think I served it cooler than it should be. It was a nice dark red color in the glass. Aromas of chocolate permiated the air. Extremely smooth, really tastes like it smells. On the sweet side, slight malt and chocolate chocolate chocolate. It may cost alot, but I feel it is well worth it. I have never experienced a beer like this before (Rogue choco stout is closest).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 4, 2004
This brew pours with a very dark brown body topped by a thick head with a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet yet bitter and chocolatey with a slight maltiness. Not all that impressive. The flavor is sweet, chocolatey and caramelly. Tastes like a chocolate candy, which, I guess, is what they were trying to do. Its actually not that bad. Medium to full bodied, smooth and slightly dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dogbrick (11889) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2004
Hefty price tag on this one but it is a pretty good beer. Pours a dark brown color with a nice ruby glow. Medium thick beige head that lasted a little while, and thin lacing. The aroma is chocolate of course, with a roasted character to it. Medium body with a lot of chocolate in the flavor but it doesnt become annoying. Malt and roasted coffee are present here and there too. The finish reminded me of a brown cow, which is like a Boston Cooler (root beer blended with ice cream) but with chocolate ice cream. I think you are paying a premium on the packaging on this one, but it works as a one-off for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - APR 27, 2004
Amazing color, really dark red, but when held up to the light was a nice red color. The dark chocolate taste to this was exceptional.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - APR 26, 2004
(singing)"The world looks mighty good to me, cause tootsie roll is in my drink, whenever I sip me beer me think, it becomes a tootsie roll to me".(o.k. stop singing) This is an interesting brew. A nice mellow bock with chocolate undertones a rich color and semi-sweet finish. Its aroma didn't dazzle me, but overall I found the whole concoction to be quite pleasing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Silphium (3192) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - APR 26, 2004
Finally pulled this one out of the "cellar" (i.e., my apartment coat closet). A nice surprise! I did not find the chocolate overbearing or cloying. Although the chocolate/cocoa flavors are the main attraction, this is also toasty with a touch of caramel and a tangy woody hint. Very smooth and creamy. Light, but in a good way. Worth $15? Probably not, but the bottle's cool :-)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
forceten (2) - West Caldwell, New Jersey, USA - APR 22, 2004 does not count
I really enjoyed this beer, expecting more of a gimmick than a serious product. I tend to enjoy most Sam Adams offerings. That said, the aroma hits you - more towards the coffee end than the chocolate. The color is rich and deep - inviting to those of us who like dark beers. The taste - well, suffice it to say the chocolate is subtle, not forward, and there's a definate sweetness overall to the beer. Similar, in a way, to how the sweetness is a major component of their Sam Adams Double Bock. The addition of the chocolate allows this beer to be enjoyed after dinner, with or without dessert. There's definately a need for more beers in this category. However, like dessert wines, it's a taste for a smaller audience. Overall - this beer gets an A!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - APR 20, 2004
UPDATED: APR 21, 2004 Pours with a thin head. Aroma of bitter chocolate, roast nuts, and a bit of coffee. When cooler the standard bock flavors come through but when warm the flavor is dominated by the bittersweet chocolate, nuts, and coffee. I actually really like this beer. The blend of bock and chocolate worked much better then I expected, and the aftertaste is the same as one of scharffen Bergers Nib Bars. It is nice but definatly not worthy of the price tag.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 17, 2004
Ruby Red in the glass with a quickly evaporating off white head. Very faint chocolate scent. Unimpressive bock flavor to start, but the chocolate aftertaste is REALLY amazing. Goes really well with chocolate cake.