overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1096   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.49/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Samuel Adams® Cranberry Lambic is a fruit beer that draws its flavor not just from the cranberries it is brewed with, but also from the unique fermentation character imparted by the rare wild yeast strain. The result is a flavor rich in fruitiness and reminiscent of cranberries and bananas, cloves and nutmeg. The yeast fermentation also will create a slight sourness on the sides of the palate, a signature of the original Lambic style which, with the subtle cereal note from the wheat malt, remind its drinker that, as fruity a beer as this is, it is still a beer.

Choke (96) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 21, 2002
Very dissapointed,,,,all i could taste was a hint of cran. This stuff was bland

RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 20, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2004 Hmmm, more like cranberry juice than beer. Too bad I'm not a big fan of cranberries. I'm not a big lambic fan either, so that doesn't help. The cranberry juice flavor was too much for me to able to enjoy this... Rerate: this has to drop another 0.5 since I haven't touched the 2 of these in my fridge for 4 months, but yet I've been out of beer for a week. I wanted to give Sam Adams the benefit of the doubt on this beer, but I really hate this stuff. This tastes like a lambic mixed with cranberry Hi-C; absolutely no cohesiveness between the two flavors. Time to go pour those other two down the drain or smash them on the concrete. I might not buy the Sam Adams winter pack next year if this beer is still in there. Yuck!

baobubba (454) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - NOV 19, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2003 Interesting flavor. Reminds me of sour patch kids. Tart flavor kind of like cranberry. Aroma of fruit, malt (maple syrup), yeast, and bubblegum. Sweet/sour finish. A decent change of pace from whatever crap "cider" or alcapop the in-laws want to drink during the holidays.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 19, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2007 Nose is more wheaty than lambic-like, color is light amber, head didn’t stick around for long. Not very sour. I don’t really taste the cranberries. Not complex. I’m not sure what they’re trying for with this one.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 17, 2002
I don't know my lambics, so I'm not sure if this is a good or bad one. I understand that the fruit should be dominating in the style, and it certainly is here. Very sweet, very tart, with a bit of a wheat beer taste in the back. I like cranberries, so I enjoyed this brew. Very much along the lines of their cherry wheat, in terms of fruit intensity and body.

beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - NOV 16, 2002
RE-rate Medium gold color, medium head. Slightly fruit aroma. OK.. Its not really a lambic, but it’s a medium bodied fruit beer. Slightly tart, and somewhat sweet, slightly malty. There is a little of that sweet/sour taste thing going on here. Nice drinking beer, cranberry flavor is a little light, but its drinkable . Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, some sweetness in aftertaste.

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 16, 2002
What the heck is this stuff? Has an artificial "butter" taste, earthy nose, only slight cranberry.

daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - NOV 12, 2002
This is not a lambic and should not be labled as such. Overpoweringly sweet with a very subtle dry cranberry followup. Color is a yellow/pink with a small head. Aroma is about the only positive thing I could find with a sweet cranberry boquet. Bottom line "I didn't like it, you may, but it's still not a lambic"

Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Not that good. Severe presence of cranberry, and an almost sickeningly sweet smell. Has a hazy yellowish pink color to it. Small head.

HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 8, 2002
(Best by 3/03) I am assuming a brettanomyces yeast culture is used to ferment this beer. The beer is a hazy pinkish/yellow. The nose has more maple syrup aromas than lambic aromas. The palate is medium in body and mildly acidic, but not acidic as a true lambic. I think this beer should be renamed maple lambic with cranberry. The maple flavors really over power the cranberries. Even with all the strange flavors in this beer, the pasteurization comes through fairly noticeable and contributes negatively to this ale.