overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1097   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.49/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Samuel Adams® Cranberry Lambic is a fruit beer that draws its flavor not just from the cranberries it is brewed with, but also from the unique fermentation character imparted by the rare wild yeast strain. The result is a flavor rich in fruitiness and reminiscent of cranberries and bananas, cloves and nutmeg. The yeast fermentation also will create a slight sourness on the sides of the palate, a signature of the original Lambic style which, with the subtle cereal note from the wheat malt, remind its drinker that, as fruity a beer as this is, it is still a beer.

karl (158) - Glendale, New York, USA - APR 14, 2002
This is the only one from Sam Adams, i have not liked. Try a true Belgain Lambic...

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 14, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2004 Re-rate 4/14/02: One month past expiration date. The head stays around, and the taste is intensely fruity on the sour side. Hardly the same beer. Much more mellow. 11/01: Very sour. I'm going to let a bottle age for 6 months to a year and see if it helps.

PSUJason99 (96) - Montclair, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2002
The bubble were cool...the flavor was decent, if you can find it, try a 6 pack

Skred (107) - Houma, Louisiana, USA - MAR 14, 2002
Definitely more beer-like than the Belgian lambics I've had, which is a plus for me. The cranberry is not overpowering, leaving this tasting more like a regular wheat beer, and I like the slightly pinkish tinge to the color, but the aroma is just a little bit off. Nothing to shout about, but not terrible. If I were on more friendly terms with dairy products (I like them, they don't like me), I might try a cranberry lambic float.

Suttree (6541) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 14, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2005 I think the recipe has changed since the early 90’s. It has a cloying sweetness, not very ’crisp’. Not a true lambic. Rerate, November 2005: Man, this stuff seems to get worse every year.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - MAR 13, 2002
I couldn't take more than a couple sips - way too bitter - just awful!......

Dogbrick (14326) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2002
Let me start off by saying I like cranberries. Cranberry bread, cranberry muffins...but not cranberry beer. The aroma was interesting but I barely finished the bottle, and had to drink it in short doses to get through. Just not my thing I guess.

Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 28, 2002
Just not my thing.............................................

Terminus (3740) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 25, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2005 bottle-rerate-ok, this was one of my top 5 lowest rated beers. It has been 4 years since i had this beer. I dont really think its that bad. I had to go back and give it a proper rating. pours orange with a small white head. aroma of oak, vineous berries, vanilla, lightly buttery (not diacytl). The aroma suggests oak barrel aging? It actually smells pretty good. flavors are a little on the tart side of cranberry with some sour notes. again the vanilla oak thing is apparent in the flavors. the body is a little on the thin side and the finish is medicinal moreso than the actual flavors. Its really not that bad. For years, i would’nt touch this beer with a 10 foot pole, but i dont think its that terrible anymore.

Alenightlong99 (70) - Lockport, Illinois, USA - FEB 25, 2002
I am glad that this is a hard beer to find, because I don't want any more of this. Cranberry is just going too far in the flavor world for beers.