RATINGS: 561   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   IBU: 43   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewing innovation is about asking "what if?". What if we gave an IPA a new identity and used some of our favorite West Coast hops, with their grapefruit, piney, & tropical fruit character, in a lager? The result is this boldly hoppy & and flavorful brew with the crisp smoothness of a lager. Cheers!

MALT VARIETIES Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and Munich malt
HOP VARIETIES Zeus, Simcoe, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin hops

backdaft (286) - Menasha Red Light District, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 10, 2013
Bottle. Pours a clear orange/amber with a thin white head that dissipates immediately. Aroma is big on hops. Floral and citrus hop notes. Taste is crisp and bitter. More citrus and floral hops and that unique lager yeast. Well balanced, hop forward and highly drinkable.

beersearcher (2383) - Glendale, California, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Pours a light orange color. Really nice grape-y aroma. Quite light with a good amount of bitterness. Then this session hoppy beer heads into lager territory. Quite well done. Almost a half and half.

Bricktop86 (894) - Moore, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Pours clear gold with a white head. Aroma of citrus, pale malt, tropical fruits and burnt rubber. Taste is tropical fruits, citrus and pine with a nice malt backbone. Exceeded my expectations

finn1918 (238) - Georgia, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Bottle from the spring variety pack. Pours a clear light amber/deep gold with a 1-finger fluffy white head that leaves very little lacing. Aroma is typical for an IPA: big pine punch with a hint of flowers and citrus. Taste follows suit, but is a little bit more mellow than an actual ale. Light mouthfeel and clean finish typical of a lager. This is a darn good beer, although I don’t think it’s quite as "groundbreaking" as Sam Adams hoped it would be. Very similar to Sierra Nevada Torpedo overall, but light enough to session easily.

DMLINAZ (358) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 8, 2013
I thought this seemed like an odd IPA til I saw the description as IPL. Nice hoppiness with citrus flavor, mainly grapefruit. Dry finish, not a long finish. Flavorful but mild. Enjoyable.

malkyore (377) - - MAR 8, 2013
I have always been skeptical of Sam Adams. There’s no way that a mainstream beer company could be as good as a bells or an arcadia. Then I tried this beer. This is a solid IPAish beer. I’m not usually a fan of lagers of any variety but this is definitely one of my favorites. Solid looking white head that dissapears relatively quickly. This beer pours a thin looking amber color that’s completely clear. Nose is wonderful, grapefruit and hops mostly, this is probably my favorite nose I’ve ever had in an ip(l)a. Taste is weakly hopped and very lagery but good. There’s enough flavor to back up the lagery weakness. Its a very full tasting beer. The flavor is very refreshing, this is definately a beer I could get with dinner somewhere. Overall, I am impressed. I am very excited to try more Samual Adams beers after this.

rumproasts (6035) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 8, 2013
bottle. Golden with small head. Interesting hybrid of IPA and lager. Nice hop bite. Light bodied and easy to drink.

tgncc (3145) - Bellmore, New York, USA - MAR 8, 2013
Nice hops on the nose, floral, spicy, citrus. Some caramel as well. The appearance is clear amber/yellow, white head. The flavor is hoppy, floral, some caramel. Floral hops on finish. Medium in body. Enjoyable.

keanex (1799) - Atco, New Jersey, USA - MAR 7, 2013
Best before June of 2013.
Appearance: Clear amber body with fine carbonation bubbles. The head is white with an average sized with decent retention, settling into a messy coating.
Aroma: The aroma is strong of citrus, lemon comes to mind, with a touch of pine, a slight lemonade tea aroma.
Taste: The malts balance the assertive hops nicely. The hops come on strong at first with a lemon flavor that leads to a half and half lemonade/tea mix flavor that I got on the aroma. This isn’t bad, but I swear this smells like an Arnold Palmer.
Palate: Medium bodied, crisp, with snappy carbonation.
Overall: This is yet another decent Sam Adams beer. They really have a knack for brewing solid beers that I have a hard time complaining about. I rarely love their beer, but it’s usually going to be worth drinking.

shrubber85 (11618) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - MAR 7, 2013
Bottle. Pine/grapefruit peel and orange malt aroma. Golden yellow with large head. Sweet orange malt and mildly bitter pine/grapefruit peel flavor. Hops more subdued in the flavor. Nice.