overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 855   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.76/5   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Samuel Adams Hefeweizen has a traditional spin on a classic American craft brewing style. This crisp, fruity wheat ale is cloudy, because the yeast has not been filtered out. Bavarian Spalt hops give the ale a crisp elegance, that is not bitter and leaves a clean aftertaste. Cheers!

possumjc (149) - Charleston - Mt Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - MAR 16, 2004
12 oz bottle. Cloudy pale yellow color. Short lived white head. Citrus aromas. Mild flavor with lemon overtones. Not one of my favorites.

Bodomite (34) - USA - MAR 12, 2004
Served in a Chilled Pilsner Glass. Very smooth tastes goes dwon very well. One can taste the wheat in the beer. The head is good and stays for a few minuites but soon dies down. Has a lemony flavor to it as well! A very good brew that will not dissapoint hefeweizen fans!

Mehmet22 (35) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 10, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2004 My first wheat ale. Not my cup --at least for now. Had a hard time getting past the severe amount of unfiltered yeast. I don't mind pouring a little swirl of yeast, but this was too much for me. Once I dimmed the lights, the malty beverage did go down smooth, but left an unremarkable taste. It did have some trace citrus/wheat scent. I think I'll come back to it after I try some other wheat ales to compare.

haddon90 (1634) - Newport Beach, California, USA - MAR 8, 2004
Was curious when I saw this a 6-pack of this so I picked one up.Nice golden/orangy pour with bubbles that fizz to the top. The head disappears, but a nice malty/wheat aroma. Impressed from a Sam Adams brew! Smooth taste with a lemony wheat flavor to it. Overall, a decent brew! Not too bad for a nice hot summer day!

run20six2 (123) - USA - MAR 7, 2004
Another great sam adams choice. Got this on in a Mixed Case. Good taste, not quite as good as the Boston Ale.

3fourths (9332) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 4, 2004
This one has a nice lemon and wheat smell, typical of most every hefe, but it also has that typical Samuel Adams flavor of cheap ingredients... some musty, rotten vegetable and vegemite. Not enjoyable at all. Sorry guys, it looks like a hefe and smells like one, but tastes pretty far from what one should be.

jimhilt (2610) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Light carbonation with a two-finger head that last a while and leaves a lot of lace. Pale, cloudy, amber color. Light bodied. Taste has wheat in it but is not strong, smooth quiet finish. Is not your usual beefy hefeweizen, it's like it is watered down.

willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - FEB 23, 2004
From some sort of Brewer's Selection variety 6-pack (I forget exactly). Bottle. Pours and orange-gold hue. Wonderfully clouded with a nebula of yeast dancing in my tumbler glass. The head is huge and brainy, but rather quickly dissipating to a lasting, wispy trace. Smells a bit like a farm during fall harvest, plus apple blossom. Nice. Yeasty aromas, definitely Sam Adams. The flavor falls flat on its face for me, what a let down. Watery mouthfeel but still fairly carbonated and tingly. Bland maltiness from front to back; just hints at ripe yeastiness in its light lemon and carrot cake flavors. Not my favorite style to begin with, but leave it to SA to give me an example tame and plain enough to be a pleasant, no-brainer quaff that I can share with non-beerian friends.

igneous1 (1535) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - FEB 17, 2004
color is caramel, very cloudy, and with a pretty decent head. fruit and spice in the aroma are extremely subdued, no real banana or clove. flavor is initially slightly fruity, but quickly just turns to yeast and wheat. not so tasty.

DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 16, 2004
Bottle. Hazy light yellow orange color. Very little aroma. Flavor is weak at first, thin body, has a pleasant fruity and wheat malt finish. Aside from that wheat finish, nothing much here. This might be more bland than the summer ale, though very similar.