overall

RATINGS: 1040   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Our take on the stout brewed by 18th century English brewers for the Russian Imperial Court of Catherine II. The special malted barley in this intense and massive brew delivers rich flavors like dark chocolate, coffee and anise.

Swolf3 (262) - Elkton, Maryland, USA - FEB 23, 2009
Bottle thanks to Robert @ Stateline. Poured black with tan head. Aroma was coffee, and hops. Taste was similar with roasted malt, hops, chocolate, and a nice sweetness to it. Finished smooth and easy to drink. Hides the alcohol well nad overall a decent brew.

smashteroid (262) - Alabama, USA - MAY 25, 2009
Served cold from bottle. Nice black color with a tan head. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. Medium bodied, malty chocolate flavor. Slight alcohol finish. Not nearly as intense or complex as other imperial stouts, but a decent drinking beer.

thehurt01 (262) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 1, 2009
A 12 oz bottle with a cool,label. The beer poured a black body with a thin dark brown head. The small is all sweet malt. the taste is a biteing malt flavor and then smoothing. Weak carbonation. Single

RasterMaster (258) - , Oklahoma, USA - JUN 7, 2009
Black pour into thick, foamy brown head that quickly disspates into sticky lacings that melt down the glass. Aroma of roasted chocolate malt and dark roast coffee. Initial flavor of sweet malt and roasted dark chocolate that fades into a peppery finish with a creamy, buttery mouthfeel.

ewestern (257) - Ohio, USA - JUN 12, 2009
Thick black pour with a nice brown head to match, nice lacing. Sweet roasted malt aroma, coffe scent that is very lite. Rich flavor of roasted malts interlaced with slightly bitter hops. Licorice. Full bodied and finishes bitter. Alcohol flavor builds as it warms. Not really sure how I feel about this beer, part of me really likes it and part of me doesn’t.

1guywith_aboat (254) - phenix city, Alabama, USA - JUN 20, 2013
Pours rich black with deep dense khaki head. The whole glass is lacy. Aroma is generously roasted with chocolate and almond coffee. Taste is bitter chocolate and black coffee with a malty sweetness to balance. Alcohol is good at hide and seek. Thick, creamy and smooth in the mouth. Very rich beer. Nicely done.

Hinez57 (253) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - JAN 21, 2010
Fruity charred sugar aroma with a very malty nose, lots of roast. Lovely in the glass, nice thin head. Somewhat complex, very well bittered but lacking balance. Not as malty, caramel as the nose implies. Notes of Anise/Licorice, roast, biscuit, with hints of soy sauce, alcohol, and vegetal flavors. Nice mouthfeel, it is either a bit thin or slightly over-carbed, either way it has a slight carb bite which is accentuated by the substantial bitterness which is thrust forward. Overall enjoyable, but seems a bit out of balance. I figured I’d be giving this a 3 or so after first tasting it, but when rating, it receives higher scores. (perhaps it’s parts are greater than it’s sum?!)

ljstephenson (250) - Enterprise, Alabama, USA - FEB 27, 2012
Clear dark black pour with off-white head. Aroma is heavy malt and dark roasted coffee. Flavor is moderately sweet and strong bitter, almost off-balance. Mouthfeel is overly oily, finish is very bitter, oilyness and bitterness overpower the balance of the beer.

Bamaboy1975 (248) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - JUL 26, 2013
I am not a stout drinker. Just a matter of personal preference. Well that is changing as of tonigh. I found a couple of bottles in our collection/stash my wife must have picked up at some time and I tried a bottle w/o even knowing I was chilling a stout until I poured it. What a great rich taste without being heavy or over powering as the few other stouts I tried in my life. The cocoa taste is excellent. Guess what, I will know be a stout drinker with this as my staple mixed in with my IPA's etc. Try this beer my friends it is really good! I am hunting for some more tomorrow. Me! A stout who would have figured! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone