Samuel Adams LongShot Double IPA

overall

RATINGS: 373   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
While there is a great malty foundation to this brew, Mike’s Double IPA showcases his appreciate for hops. In fact, he included seven different varieties of American hops, totaling over six pounds of hops per barrel. The hops add an intense floral and citrus aroma to this brew.

mrhoppy (1196) - Santa Clara, California, USA - MAY 12, 2009
The aroma nice and hoppy bitter grapefruit. Great looking beer. Bitter alcohol at first and gets better as you sip it. My mind jumps from beer to beer as I taste many different double IPA’s I have tried. It’s a beer vacation in my mouth. All the different hop flavors flow over your tongue at different times. Definitely not a copy. Very unique. The only thing would like is a little more sweetness. Epic beer.

zizzybalubba (1887) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - APR 20, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2009 12 oz. bottle from Total Wine. Pours dark orange with a foamy off-white head. Big pine and grapefruit aroma. Flavor is huge with grapefruit and pine. The 9% alcohol is nowhere to be found. I am totally blown away. This is far and away the best thing I have ever tasted from Sam Adams (yes, I realize it is a homebrew winner). Don’t believe the haters, this is phenomenal.

GandGKevin (934) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - MAY 12, 2009
This is far and away the best freakin beer Sam Adams has ever made! Delicious hoppy resiny golden elixer that can should have been named Pliny of the East. Your typical Sam Adams lager drinker will hate it, but count this as a big score for true craft beer folks. Absolutey loved it.

DarkSong (381) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - AUG 27, 2009
12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a small white head. It has a very pleasant hop aroma. It has a wonderful hop bitterness, a nice grapefruit taste, a resin taste, flowers and fruit taste. The is an absolutely fabulous beer, one of the best I’ve had.

DocLock (11106) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 13, 2009
Wow, what a lead up to this beer, with press pro and con all over the place. First off, let me say that both Pliny’s hold a special place in my heart as perfedct examples of my favorite style. I had also heard anecdotal stories of how some people had gotten bad bottles of this one. On to my review................{wait for it................wait for it.............} The pour is turbid deep ruby orangy with 2-finger creamy off-white head and copious lacing. Nose is heavy piney hops, tropical fruit, including tangerine, pineapple, mango, plus black pepper, female feety Simcoey hops. The flavor is very piney, hoppy, resiny, on the bitter side at first, with a rich, very complex palate, and "in your face hops" that never let up, constantly pounding you olfactory and pappilary senses with piney resiny hoppy goodness. Is this better than PTE. I don’t know and I don’t really care. What I do know is that I WILL do these side by side, and I will buy both every time I get a chance. Big cheers to Mike McDale for brewing a beer this good, and to Jim Koch for recognizing it.

IPAGargoyleGuy (140) - Troy, NY, New York, USA - MAY 21, 2009
Didn’t expect to say this without trying the Utopias, but I am truly impressed by Sam Adams. Citrus and fruity hops dominate the profile and the resiny oils give it a great mouthfeel. The menagerie of hops create a fantastic and unique flavor. It is lacking in malt balance, but that’s just how I like ’em. Mike McDole, I have never met you, but one taste and I can tell you are the man! Thanks for this one, and thank you Sam Adams for not bitching out on brewing (and acquiring the hops for) this massive and awesome beer.

dwyerpg (6454) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAY 1, 2009
This has an outstanding citrus aroma, orange and grapefruit. The head is creamy but the first sip is hop city. A very aggressive start that seems to mellow out quickly but then sustains long through the aftertaste. A slight bit of something funky near the end but pretty good stuff. Extremely hoppy.

gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAY 24, 2009
Bottle, courtesy Ibrew2or3. Cloudy peachy copper pour, thick white lacing and a bubbly head. Big piney hops in the nose, tons of citrus, some vanilla. Piney flavors, sweet, sticky malts, and full of grain. Full-bodied, sticky on the palate.