overall
RATINGS: 1343   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 157   ABV: 5.24%
2009 Beer Lover’s Choice Contestant - Sample A. Similar to a traditional Czech Pilsner, our Samuel Adams Pils is brewed with a blend of 5 Noble Hop varieties from each of the world’s only remaining Noble Hop growing regions. The spicy, herbal and citrus hop character is well balanced by the Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt, adding honeyed malt character and full body without sweetness.

junon (430) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - JAN 5, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2010 It has a slight copper hue to the classic Pilsner gold. I think its quite vegetal in aroma. Flavour is slightly buttery initially but turns real crisp the rest way through. Maybe even a bit of pumpkin in there. Good stuff.

branspra (293) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 4, 2010
Bottle. Pours a crystal clear light amber color with a moderately sized white head. Lacing is below average and the head dissipates quickly. Aromas of spruce, hay, and slight woodiness. Mouthfeel is lively initially, crisp throughout, and then a soft finish that was very pleasing. Tastes of caramel, floral, and ginger to finish. A very good beer that I will be purchasing again.

zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - JAN 4, 2010
Not sure where they get the "5" Noble Hop varieties from, since there technically are only 4 true varieties. Nevertheless, this is a very welcome addition to Sammy’s lager lineup. This one is the black sheep of the bunch, seeing as it is fizzy and yellow rather than the typical amber (ahem - "Boston") lager that they market. The Weyermann malt is awesome. I enjoy their malts in homebrews and this pilsener malt in this one is in perfect order with its honey-sweet flavor and graham-cracker finish. This part of the beer is so damn good that it keeps me liking this beer. They problem with this beer is that it neither has the floral aroma nor soft flavor of saaz. I mean, it’s there but it’s just so overpowered by something else that it’s almost hard to taste it. It’s simply not balanced enough to be excellent. I *swear* that I taste cascade in here, but it could be Hallertau. But it just tastes wrong in this beer and provides a bittering that tastes and smells out of place. This is an example of taking a good thing and ruining it. The lemony grapefruity hops are fine for American beers, but seem out of place here... Just ever so slightly over the top. It does seem to finish a bit better as the glass warms though... Or maybe I’ve just had a few of them and it’s starting to grow on me a bit more. Don’t get me wrong. I am a hop-head and I like lots of hops, but when I think of a Czech pils, there is just something here that doesn’t quite mesh up. I must admit though... Aside from the complaints I have with the hops, this is a pretty good attempt at a Czech-styled pils. Much better than most American brewers. If this weren’t only a seasonal, I’d pick this one up every once in a while. But for my pils-fix, I’ll be sticking with Urquell, which is always fantastic in my book. If Sam Adams would just dump the excessive herbal hop blend and let the Saaz come out an play, they’d probably have a winner here.

drowland (9078) - Georgia, USA - JAN 3, 2010
12oz bottle (2009) into a pils glass. The pour is clear apple-juice yellow/brown with a small creamy white head that goes away quick. The aroma is clean pils malt and light fruity lager yeast with a dash of citrus. The flavor is simple, clean, and malty, almost like a macro, but then a hop finish lingers with a citrusy dryness to remind you of what you’re drinking.

jodyperkins (78) - Mississippi, USA - JAN 3, 2010
Poured from bottle. Very citrusy hop notes in the aroma. Clear golden appearance with minimal carbonation. Very frothy white head. Sweet taste gives away to mild bitterness. Medium body with a creamy texture, bitter finish. Very different from other pilsners I’ve had. Much different than one that’s advertised as "triple hops brewed" whatever that means. This ones great - probably not what most would think of a pilsner, however.

Drake (14078) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 2, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2011 Guess its good to give this one a re-rate as it was simple Sample A the last time I had it. This bottle from a sampler pack. Pours a clear golden color with a medium frothy white head. Average head retention and lacing. Aroma of peppery and grassy hops with pale grainy notes and green banana. The taste is green, grassy hops, green bananas, sweet grains. Not liking the hop character here. 6/4/5/3/11 Sampled from a Sample A bottle at the Relentless Thirst gathering in Richmond, VA, 8/29/09. Rated from notes. Pours a golden amber color with a thin head. Fair head retention and lacing. Aroma is grassy and grainy with a slight syrupy note. Bitter grassy taste with some graininess. Thin-medium bodied. Fairly boring. Original rating 5/3/5/3/11.

User37895 (3085) - - JAN 2, 2010
Bottle from the six pack. Exactly what it says it is, and a decent run at the style, imo. Poured with a nice head, good lacing, nice bready, grassy, honey aroma. The flavor followed, good hop/malt balance, although a tad more hops would have made this nearly great. The drinkability was high, mouthfeel full for the style, broken up, though with appropriate carbonation. Nice job, Sammy, and nice social drinker for my New Year’s Eve bash.

Saarlander (1920) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JAN 2, 2010
On tap at BWW, A crisp brew, floral aroma, some spiced, hop flavor, slightly bitter, a good, easy to drink brew.

solsticebrew (61) - USA - JAN 1, 2010
Bottle, Honolulu. Pours a clear light gold. Crisp hop aroma. Real clean taste. A light taste as expected with a light bitterness. I wish I knew more so I could have a better review

smith4498 (3674) - Winter Springs, Florida, USA - JAN 1, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2010 Pours clear golden color with white head. Floral hops aroma with some biscuit malts. Grainy malt flavor with mildly bitter floral hoppiness. Light to medium body with lively carbonation.