overall
RATINGS: 2565   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The first thing you notice when pouring a glass of this seasonal beer is the color. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest has a rich, deep golden amber hue which itself is reflective of the season. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest is a malt lover’s dream, masterfully blending together four roasts of barley to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee. The beer is kept from being overly sweet by the elegant bitterness imparted by the German Noble hops. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest provides a wonderful transition from the lighter beers of summer to the winter’s heartier brews.
Beer vintage abv varies from 5.0% to 5.5%

jtw (1165) - farmington, Michigan, USA - OCT 21, 2003
deep amber brown color with lots of light bubbles. aroma is of toasty malt, and the head is delicate. it's a good fall lager, nice and malty with a little bit of bitterness in the finish. i like this one; it's nice and mild.

OldGrowth (3474) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Bottle: Good nose, fruity, toasted malt. Small head. Clear brown/orange. Some lacing. Sour toasted malt flavor. Kinda creamy, some linguring bitterness. Its O.K., A safe Octoberfest.

howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 19, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2005 A mild, but very enjoyable and drinkable Octoberfest. Creamy head and respectably full mouthfeel save this from macrobrew oblivion.

bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2003
amber with medium off white head. midly malty aroma, taste is mostly of sweet caramel malt with a slight fruitiness. somewhat watery, but decent and drinkable

auto (163) - California, USA - OCT 18, 2003
has a light/offwhite head with a darkbrown/red/orange/ colour. with an alchoholic aroma, not bad. indescribable taste. not exciting but not bad by any means.

egajdzis (6626) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2003
Poured a light amber color with a tight, creamy, off white head that left some lacing. Slightly malty aroma. Malty sweet (caramel), buttery taste.

WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - OCT 15, 2003
Malty, sweet. Nothing offensive about this. Pretty standard octoberfest. Not a big Sam Adams fan, but this is pretty drinkable.

kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Not a bad beer. Good effort SA. Offwhite medium head moslty diminishing on a mahogany colored body. Nice malty aroma. Taste is fairly sweet and roasty with a little bite in the finish. Easy drinking beer.

drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Orangish color with little head or carbonation. What's up with october beers having no carbonation? Sugary malts. Sort of watery. Slight hops in the middle, with a dry finish.

DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2003
I am a big Sam Adams fan so when I picked up a six pack of this beer I was very excited. I felt a little bit let down by the flavor but I did have extremely high expectations. When I poured this beer into a glass the first thing I noticed was that it developed a foamy off-white head that left a little bit of lace and rested on top of the lightly carbonated clear amber liquid. If you let this beer go flat it could be confused with iced tea. I didn't taste any off flavors or bitterness but I am not very familiar with the Oktoberfest style and I am assuming that the unfamiliar flavor that I experienced was the caramel malt. I liked it but didn't fall completely in love. I like the bottle label for its Halloween color scheme. If it was the middle of the summer and I saw a six pack of this beer sitting on the shelf I could easily pass it up but when next Autumn roles around I will be looking forward to picking up a case of Sam Adams OctoberFest.