overall
RATINGS: 1462   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Spicy and bold, a big Christmas cookie of a beer. Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is bursting with spices of the season. With a remarkably full body and flavor it helps those long winter nights pass more quickly. The rich taste hits the palate with a depth of malt character ranging from sweet toffee and caramel notes to dark, roasty chocolate notes. Then the spices come in full force. Cinnamon, ginger and orange peel dance on the tongue bringing with them the celebratory spirit of the season.

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Pours a nice deep brownish red with a minimal head. Flavor is difficult to nail down but is quite interesting...in a "why don't we just throw all kinds of stuff in the kettle" kind of way. I don't detect the chocolate.

WastedYouthBrew (143) - Phila (Home of Geno's Steaks), Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2003
I for one enjoyed the winter pack! And Fezziwig Ale is another great chapter of it! Yum, I can taste the Fezziwig in my stomach, great taste, sweet to the T, actually a lower case t, but none the less a T indeed. Nice for sitting by the Christmas tree and taking in all the wonders life has to offer, and also all the confusion its can bring, may this year rot in a eternal, solemn and desolately confine grave, to which no one visits and to which no one brings flowers or bears gifts from the true heart and soul. However let the next year bring out the best of the nation, all its people, and all its love and why stop there, why not the world, yes sounds strange at first, but very, very feasible! Let us stop being so greedy and selfish and start to give and share in this the year of 2004! It can happen my brothers, it can and must happen!

Zeswaft (1780) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Definitely a Christmas beer for it is very spicey and tastes like the Christmas tree. However, it was not to my liking. Who are the ad wizards that thought orange, cinnamon, and ginger would mix well together? Well, they are quite nasty if you ask me. The whole Sam Adams winter variety pack was a huge let down.

whiterabbit81 (244) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Interesting! Odd flavor of winter spice, fruit and ginger. A unique brew, but not something I'd necessarily enjoy often.

DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - DEC 30, 2003
I love the label design for this beer. Another Samuel Adams success. This is a great beer to keep on hand throughout the Christmas season. While the minimal white head is nothing to brag about the rich amber body is absolutely gorgeous. The sweet aroma is filled with fragrances of caramel malt, fruit, and winter spices. This is very smooth ale that must be enjoyed in a glass. The flavor is a very satisfying mix of malt, chocolate, winter spices, and orange (though at first I thought it was cherry). This beer has a uniquely enjoyable flavor that speaks of jingle bells and joyful celebrations. I got this in the Sam Adams Winter Sampler but next year I will certainly try to stock up on some Delicious Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale.

blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 29, 2003
very dark amber color. Flavor hits right at the front of my mouth. Spice and carmel are the 2 main flavors. You can definetly smell the "vegitable" aroma. Intresting and not half bad.

JFGrind (2071) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 25, 2003
Spiced aroma and flavor reminded me of an English Strong Ale. Part of a winter sampler case.

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - DEC 24, 2003
Interesting beer. Very Christmasy, with cinnamon and spice dominating, some orange peel and a vegatably taste in the finish. I don't know what exactly to call it, besides enjoyable.

Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 24, 2003
Pours dark brown throughout, with a small head and no lace. Malt aromas, some chocolate, and some fruit. Bold spice flavor of cinnamon, covering a small malt taste along with some more chocolate. Medium bodied with a spicy palate. Not too bad.

BückDich (5477) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 24, 2003
Ruby colors with an off-white head and light lacing. The aroma is midly hoppy and spicy with a touch of band aid. The flavor is well balanced with spices and zest. This is a pretty good beer from BBC, sucks that I had to buy the whole holiday pack just to fid this gem.