overall
RATINGS: 1457   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Spicy and bold, a big Christmas cookie of a beer. Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is bursting with spices of the season. With a remarkably full body and flavor it helps those long winter nights pass more quickly. The rich taste hits the palate with a depth of malt character ranging from sweet toffee and caramel notes to dark, roasty chocolate notes. Then the spices come in full force. Cinnamon, ginger and orange peel dance on the tongue bringing with them the celebratory spirit of the season.

akoeninger (769) - Wisconsin, USA - NOV 23, 2015
Very good rich brown ale with a bit of spice. Roasty and malty with cinnamon and ginger spice in aroma and taste. Not overly spiced but quite enjoyable. Fully body. A really solid festive ale for the season.

Aggiebob (1250) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - NOV 22, 2015
Bottle. Mahogany in color with a quickly dissipating off-white head. It has some lacing. Aroma of caramel malt and spices. The flavor is malts - chocolate and caramel along with cinnamon and other christmas spices. I look forward to this one each year.

tysongillmore (362) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 21, 2015
I didn't take any extra notes when I tried this beer for the first time but I'm gonna try it again and update my comments. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Obfuscate (593) - Minneapolis, - NOV 20, 2015
I’m really liking this Winter 12 pack. Not a style I normally love but like this more toned down version.

ccex (1350) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 11, 2015
12 oz. bottle pours a clear dark reddish brown with moderate light tan head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is not strong, but has ginger, cinnamon, orange peel, chocolate, and some roasted malts. Taste is slightly sweet and spicy with a bit of woodiness in the finish. Body is medium with average carbonation. Different and nice, but not outrageously memorable.

mstrcrwly (1000) - New York, USA - APR 4, 2015
had this years ago as part of a mixed beer pack someone gave me..don’t really remember the taste so i’ll assume it’s middle of the road.

schlitzfaced (92) - Ohio, USA - MAR 18, 2015
Poured into a pint glass. Pours a Deep brown amber with a big head that dissipates to a nice thin one. Aroma is toasted malts with a hint of chocolate. Taste is slightly sweet.

robobeerbelly (78) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 19, 2015
very different beer than i’m used to. I’d have to say i pick up a taste of ginger in it. good flavor overall but just...different. Its a good one to try but i don’t know that i’d buy it again.

J_man (1022) - Tustin, California, USA - JAN 27, 2015
Roasted malt, wood and baking spices in the aroma. The crystal clear mahogany color of this beer is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen and it’s topped with a thin ring of light tan bubbles. The roasted malt comes through immediately along with a nice milk and light dark chocolate flavor. Cinnamon and ginger spices show up and are perfectly balanced with the chocolate and slightly dry/sour woodiness. There’s an earthiness and almost mushroomy like quality that emerges mid-sip that balances what sweetness is present and enhances it. With all this going on, the body is dead centered between creamy and light bodied with a bit of both at different times. Finishes with light chocolate and wood with a bit of dry char that lingers like smoke. I hadn’t had this beer in a few years and I was surprised that I hadn’t rated it yet, so I wondered if I’d still like it as much as I remember. This proved an emphatic "yes" and reminded me of what an excellent Christmas/winter brew this is.

AdamT (268) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 12, 2015
12oz bottle out of Holiday Pack from Food Lion. Reddish-brown hue with mostly diminishing light brown fizzy head. Good lacing. Dark malt, chocolate, orange citrus hop, spice and sweet floral aromas. Malt taste up front with a strange orange citrus hop and spice finish. When it warmed it had almost a peachy finish. Fizzy carbonation on the palate.