overall
RATINGS: 244   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Pale gold in color; Malty and crisp with a definite malty/cereal note and an elegant, balanced hop spiciness.

1.4
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
weeicemon (126) - Lancaster, California, USA - MAR 25, 2001
The fluffy head decieves this relatively tastless brew. No flavor to mention except a little bit of lemon sourness in the middle. For good or for worse Samuel Adams’ beers usually have loads of flavor. What happened to this?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - MAR 15, 2001
Just not good, real bland. It’s drinkable but just barely.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ChinaCat99 (14) - Michigan, USA - MAR 11, 2001
Very nice color to it, but a boring, flat flavor. It’s a little watered down without much in the carbination area. Overall, I’ve tasted better beers, but I’d drink it if it was offered to me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - MAR 9, 2001
very golden color. i was expecting better, this was weak. I’ve had a few euro golden ales and its not my favorite style, but i figured in the american style, it would be more hopped and malted. but no, still weak, but a trew golden ale. not very good, good thing its a seasonal so i don’t get stuck with it all year

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lizziesage (180) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 15, 2001
The joy of drinking a ’spring’ ale in February. A clear, bubbly beer that is warm and cheery. A fruity mouthfeel and beer aroma make for a nice drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - FEB 12, 2001
Well, this seems decent enough, good balance and refreshing, but I don’t think January was the best time of year to release this one, it seems better suited as a summer ale. Perhaps I’ll try another one then and see if I like it better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Shazbat (100) - USA - FEB 6, 2001

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - DEC 15, 2000
This is a Kolsch style ale according to the lable. I’ve got to admit that I’m not terribly knowledgeable about this style. It’s very light in color, and full of flavor. It finishes pretty dry, and the hops (German noble hops) are very apparent. I like this ale. I’d guess it has a higher than average alcohol content. (I just looked it up and it’s 5.2%, so not as strong as I was thinking.) Anyway... a great, clean tasting, light ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Oakes (16949) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 2, 2000
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2003 Light golden. Husky malt aroma, some fresh apple, hints of grass, wheat. Light pale malt notes, some grass. Sweetish (~18 IBUS), slightly honeyish finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
blatz (138) - Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Florida, USA - NOV 16, 2000
Another lackluster brew from Sam - on my list its in between Pale Ale and Summer Ale - Definitely crisp and refereshing - nice on a hot day - the presentation is okay - very thin color and body - minimal head retention - well balanced in the hop/malt department and not necessarily a bad brew - just not one I like nor one I’d expect from SA. Cheers!