overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 2349   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Samuel Adams® Summer Ale is an American wheat ale. This summer seasonal uses malted wheat, lemon zest and Grains of Paradise, a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th century, to create a crisp taste, spicy flavor and medium body. The ale fermentation imparts a background tropical fruit note reminiscent of mangos and peaches. All of these flavors come together to create a thirst quenching, clean finishing beer perfect for those warm summer days.

scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 9, 2004
not a bad wheat beer. i'm usually not a fan but this is alright. it's a bit over carbonated. and it tastes like lemon pledge

beerman08 (17) - USA - DEC 11, 2003
Now, I know I haven't tried every beer, but this is definately my favorite thus far. Don't get me wrong, I tried alot of different beers, both low and high class, this has to be one of the best. If you're just chillin', hangin' out, this is the shit you want, WORD!

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Yah i know summer is over and the 10 inches of snow here proves it.I figured it was time to buy some of these brews even though i'm not a big sammy fan. Pale golden color,small head that faded after a short time.The aroma was wheaty and mildly fruity with maybe a light spice hint.The flavor came of as wheat and citrus with a fairly good lemon and spice coming through nicely,with a wheat lightly sour citrus after taste.Not a bad brew but it doesn't change my mind on S.A.

jzzbassman (1619) - Arlington, Texas, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Good wheat beer, very refreshing lawn mower beer. I don't drink this as often now that Boulevard has Zon, but this is one even my non-beer geek friends like when I put them in the cooler.

eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - NOV 16, 2003
I'm usually on the fence about Sam Adams brews. Sometimes they are suprisingly good, other times they are mundane. I had this selection a little late in the summer so maybe an Indian Summer Ale would have fared better. This wheat ale is infused with refreshing elements of lemon and spice. Yellow-orange in color. Cloudy. Smooth from start to finish with a little spicy kick in between. I like it and look forward to next summer!

alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2003
Nice wheat beer. not as much a fan of wheat beers, but the hint of citrus helps it out. Nice summer beer.

beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 11, 2003
This is a ok American Wheat nothing special some what bland. Lemon, wheat, and spicey flavor. Finish is clean, crisp, and watery.

heemer77 (5355) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2005 Has a pale cloudy appearance and a smallish head. Interesting wheat taste here. Has a strong lemon taste with spiciness. The wheat is overpowered by these flavors. However, it was interesting enough that I have had it a few times.

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2003
Looks like a classic belgian white. Nice pale gold, diminished white frothy head. Smells like cloves, hops, lemon, and cinnamon. Tastes very unique, lemon, pepper, a little sour. Not the best I have ever had but it is quite different. Interesting to say the least.

beastdog75 (364) - Brick, New Jersey, USA - OCT 20, 2003
A decent summer beverage. Wasn't outstanding in any particular area. Some light malt crispness and wheat flavor, the citric flavor wasn't really that noticable, and not much hop bitterness.