overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 2287   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Samuel Adams® Summer Ale is an American wheat ale. This summer seasonal uses malted wheat, lemon zest and Grains of Paradise, a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th century, to create a crisp taste, spicy flavor and medium body. The ale fermentation imparts a background tropical fruit note reminiscent of mangos and peaches. All of these flavors come together to create a thirst quenching, clean finishing beer perfect for those warm summer days.

chickenflea's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
chickenflea (351) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - APR 26, 2010
Ap - Lemon Jolly Rancher color. Poured into a standard pint glass. Two finger head the dissipates quickly. Not much lacing. A tiny bit of haziness. Ar - Some floral hops in the nose. Spicy, but overwhelming smell is lemon. (Hey, the label warned me.) A tiny amount of banana-clove-yeast aroma as well. T - The taste follows the nose, lemon and spicy. Well balanced. It reminds me of some of the lighter Belgian ales. The taste does not fall evenly into any single category. The finish is clean and refreshing. P - Body is thin. Has a lager texture. O - Definitely drinkable, I bought a twelve-pack because it went so well with my chicken and pasta. I like what Sam Adams is trying to do here. Sam Adams is getting so big, however, that there seems to be an unwarranted bias against their offerings. This is a good beer. Different and not overdone.

azzurro (383) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 14, 2017
Had this one as I tried another samuel adams for their popularity on this site. The summer ale was available at the LCBO, so I tried it. Barely average, nothing outstanding about this one. Took this one at my end of season baseball team party. Great company, great food.

Niko100 (2985) - Chicago, New York, USA - SEP 26, 2017
Hazy straw color; Medium slightly creamy body; Aroma of wheat, citrus, & some coriander; Flavor of wheat, citrus (notably orange & lemon), light banana, and some spice; Fairly decent.

higgsbison (261) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2017
Light and lemony. I do not like it. Sorry, I had to upload these old ratings. They were for me, not for uploading. And also I need 75 characters, hence this sentence. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Grumbo (3847) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - AUG 21, 2017
Bottle at Premier Cafe, 7th Avenue, New York. Pours hazy amber with a small white head. Aroma of citrus, wheat, sweet malt and grain. Medium plus sweetness, light citrus bitterness, Light body, watery texture, average carbonation. First beer on this visit to NYC, hope I will do much better.

Salian (101) - Sale, Cheshire, ENGLAND - AUG 14, 2017
Ok, nothing startling, draft at the Red Lobster, near Orlando convention centre. Lightly spiced, easy drinking, expected more fruit flavour.

BeerTre504 (1) - - AUG 8, 2017 does not count
Don't buy again. Was not very tasty better seasonal beer dhdhsu hehdhdhshsh hdhdhdhsushshshshdh ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bulldogops (2726) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 5, 2017
Rating #2622 - 2016.06.25 - Draught at the Marriott I was at in SLC. Hazy gold pour, Aroma has a hint of wheat, and a herbal whif, mixed with a strong cerealy note. Taste is pretty much the same, a dominance with hints of wheat character built in (wheat, citrus, etc.) Finish is dry and crisp. Nice, light, refreshing.

17Beer (405) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 5, 2017
12 oz. bottle. Light scents of grass yeast and malt. Pours a dirty golden hazy with a short fast dissipating white head. A lot of lemon flavor but very little wheat. Slight sour finish and a refreshing crisp mouthfeel. Not too challenging very simple but nothing wrong with it.

Padchenko (377) - Dublin, IRELAND - AUG 4, 2017
Cloudy golden with white head. Citrusy and some other fruits and slightly bready texture, but actually light enough. Refreshing

Scipio (1185) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - JUL 31, 2017
Pours a hazy golden with a medium, smooth white head. The aroma is very minor, as I’m only finding a little lemon and wheat. The taste contains mild bitterness and is dry. Here we get lemon, wheat, bread, and some slight grain. Finish is lemon. Medium bodied, chewy in texture, and average carbonation. For a summer beer, this isn’t crisp or refreshing. When I was naive, I thought summer beers were great. Since then, I’ve come to realize that they taste like furniture polish. This tastes like furniture polish.