overall

RATINGS: 998   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - JAN 10, 2008
Bottle. Poured into the proper tasting glass ( a gimmick). So this is the 2007 version. This is not a beer but rather more of a tawny port or even more like a sherry or Madeira. Has a copper color, absolutely no head and strong alcohol notes. Some molasses like flavors and fairly chewy. Hard to describe, but strangely satisfying.

decaturstevo (6244) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JAN 10, 2008
For me this 2.5-+ of beer was truly an experience. The aroma is just hard to discribe. It comes out of the glass and gets you. I think it would burn your eyes if you draped a towel over your head like people do when they have a cold. I reminded me so much of a shot of whiskey only different. The flavor was warm as would be expected. It was again like drinking a good smooth sherry. Mouthfeel was just outstanding I think the high abv gave it the hint of thiness that I detected. Overall what can I say would I split another bottle 8 ways again? yep.

andyhite (308) - Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA - JAN 7, 2008
aroma? one word; port. tawny port, aged about 10 or 20 yrs. this deserves a "FUCKIN’ A!!!!" aside from the burn, it’s all about nutty grape and caramel aromas, sweeter chocolate, viscous toffee, and aged oak. though it’s an atypical beer, it’s an excellent experience. the flavor yeilds a viscous toffee-almond-white grape flavor accented by notes of candy, caramel, and creme brulee, and homemade southern molasses - only the kind your country grandma can make. once again - atypical, but almost worth it.

webjedi (250) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - JAN 7, 2008
Had a "small" sample of this on the second night of The Brick’s Winter Tasting. It was as if you brewed whisky with a nice covering of brown sugar. No head, and pours with a lacing not unlike cough syrup . Eminently enjoyable though, but I doubt I could even down 4 oz of the thing with friends. It’s good... but nothing I’d have to give it as a beer... close to an extreme barleywine (as it style dictates). I think with a little less sweetness it’d be perfect though.

eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Pours bronze with no head. Aroma is caramel, bourbon, creme brulee, vanilla, and cherry. Flavor is sweet caramelized sugar, toffee, almonds, coconut, and cherry. This is amazing and tastes like liquid candy. There is absolutely 0 alcohol burn in this beauty. This has a perfect balance of flavors with a silky mouth feel.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Snifter. Light amber body, nose of oak, sherry and maple syrup, no head. Luscious mouthfeel. Nutty flavor with sherry, oak, maple, fruits. This is what the Triple Bock dreamed of being, or maybe what I dreamed the Triple Bock should be.

auerbrau (3203) - Ithaca, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2007
2oz Pour at the North Shore Grill - Hancock, MI. Aroma glows lightly as wet honey, hot cereal, light caramels, and brandy-like alcohol. Pours flat; no head, no carbonation. Color of hazlenut with warm clover honey edges. Flavor develops as rather complex. Alcohol is immediately noticeable and domiating, but yields to some port and brandy vinous maturity, that combine with some bubblegum esters and sugar syrup. After these rough edges, a good lot of caramel, toast, and good earth show. Then a nip of dust and oxidation. Finally, only the faintest hop smithers come through. Finishes on the strongest raisin and mature mid-fruits I’ve ever tasted. Very heavy in grape and raisin. Palate either scortches or lays heavy. Alcohol or syrup. Good legs. Interesting for the intensity and method. Worth the $14.

LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - DEC 29, 2007
2007 Edition in Ceramic Decanter # 04563. Found this bottle at Savemore Beverage Clifton Park NY. Pours a deep copper in color with no head. Were to start WOW!!! Aroma of Cognac, sweet maple syrup, oak and with an alcohol warming smell. Taste of maple syrup, oak, butterscotch and caramel with very clean finish. Suprisingly no alcohol burn with the high alcohol %, you will feel it. I was very surpise to find this one, had to travel to New York to get this one. It was not cheap at $175 but worth it.

SDalkoholic (2377) - Linda Vista, California, USA - DEC 27, 2007
Bottle from South Bay Liquor and Drugs. I had been on the look out for this beer by Sam Adams for a couple years now, so I was really happy to finally get my hands on a bottle. The amount I poured for myself was only the size of a shot glass since the aroma was so strong in alcohol and I knew before hand the ABV level. The nose is so similar to hard liquor such as whiskey, scotch or rum that I didn’t have that much pleasure taking sniffs of it. Anyway, I detected scents of sugar, maple syrup, and soy sauce almost to the same effect the triple bock had played on me. Upon my initial first sip I honestly admit I winced and told myself this is was not beer. The aftertaste was of sweet sugary malts that were undeniable that this truly was a beer and I should give it another sip. The flavor is so sweet that it completely overwhelms all signs of other flavor. Although, I do get the hint of the slightest touch saltiness and bitterness in the faint background. An easy way to describe this beer is maple syrup raised to another degree of intensity, but also this beer is very similar to a whiskey—I just had to say it again. To strong for my blood and that’s why I’m pouring shot glasses for close friends for them to try despite the price tag.

badbeer (434) - Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2007
World’s Strongest Beer. 2005 Version; notes from 2006. Is a dark, murky brown color with no carbonation and no head whatsoever, but with this high of alcohol I cannot punish it for that. Smell is of candy, burnt sugar, vanilla, and alcohol is noticeable (not surprisingly) in the nose. Taste is very strong, burnt sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and an alcohol is present but does not over power you as one might expect. Mouthfeel is thick an syrup-like with no carbonation, very smooth. Drinkability is tough to judge, it’s good no doubt, but you couldn’t possibly think of drinking very much. Definately worth a try in my book. Much thanks to hero27 for graciously sharing.