overall

RATINGS: 978   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Theis (15152) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - NOV 22, 2007
Bottle at Lbutikken - thanks to Yespr. Cloudy deep orange - no head. Raisins, high hoppy, bread, alcoholi, brown sugar, lots of dried dark fruits, portwine-like. Powerfull and light alcoholic afterburn. Very delicious, but not as fantastic as I hoped !!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 21, 2007
Consumed in a Sam Adams Reidel glass. I had an old rating stored here, but I deleted it as it was from a small sample from their first batch of this beer. Pours light brown with no head. A nice neck, like you might see from a cognac or good scotch shows itself on the glass as the beer is swirled. Smells of sherry, cognac, warming alcohol, citrus, some woody character. Taste is sweet with molasses, some hints of sherry, maple, lots of warming alcohol, but it doesnt overwhelm the other flavors. Some cherry notes are also present. Mouthfeel yields lots of alcohol as does the finish. If you take this for what it is, which is a fermented cordial, it is actually quite interesting and different. Reminds me of a cognac. This "beer" could really benefit from some aging in a barrel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
puzzl (3259) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 21, 2007
$20 for a 1oz sample at Hop Devil. Not worth it. Not even close. Hot, full, rich aroma. Nutty sugars, milk chocolate, beets. Big alcohol. Filling, nutty flavor, very malty. Wheaty and husky flavors develop as the beer sits and become overbearing and off-balance. Very boozy, brash... almost tastes a bit off. I can see some hints of Tripelbock in here but it is nowhere near as beautifully crafted or aged as that.

ubamartian (155) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 20, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2007 Special Utopias tasting at Three Cellars in Franklin, WI. There is a story behind every beer, and a story behind every beer drank. This beer rivals the Greek epics, the Great Russian Ballets, and the many wonders of the world. I waited with anticipation for the night to arrive, having cleared my work schedule and getting the mother in law to watch the boy. I arrived at the location and awaited with a palpable anticipation for the opening of the bottle. It was opened and poured into the glass, looking like the nectar of the beer gods. A beautiful sunset amber. Although there was no frothy covering on this mountain, it was sheer elegence in its naked beauty. The aroma was breathtaking. A perfect blending of fragances each peeking through to culminate in a scent all its own. The feeling of familiarity in the scent, like a gathering of all your family and closest friends, but with the freshness of a newborn babe. Butterscotch, vanilla, fruits, hops, caramel, toffee to name a few. After relishing the bouquet for what seemed a fleeting moment, but turned out to be a few minutes, I took my first sip. Ecstacy, rapture, utter fantasy and delight. The tastes of the best breakfast pancakes with maple syrup, along with a beautiful butterscoth toffee, and a great glowing warmth of alcohol. As I rolled it around on my tongue, every taste bud was alive with sensory input, no one thing overpowering the other. The warm, luxuriant, silky liquid felt as though it was melting on my tongue. The finihing touches bring a dearth of warmth, happiness and fullfilment. If beer was an emotion, this would be love. If I never again sample another beer, at least I have tasted the nectar of bliss.

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - NOV 19, 2007
First beer sampled at the GABF. WOW! What a way to start. Super sugary sweet. Very little alcohol in the flavor. Impressive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
RSRIZZO (1970) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - NOV 15, 2007
Had this beer at GABF on 10/11/07. Aroma is a very rich sweet scent of malt and maple. Color is a hazy brown with no carbonation or head. Taste is one of the most amazing things ever with a rich sweet body that has a rich maple flavor. Its not beer like but it is a wonderful thing to drink.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Skyview (5706) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2007
Toasted this brew from a 24-oz decanter at Cellars Wine & Spirits in St Paul, MN. (Vintage 2007- #05798) Pours a thick clear light maple syrup brew with no head. Awesome viscosity tears inside the glass. For aroma, each time I could pick up a different scent. First, its maple syrup, then its sweet dark raisins, then its dark chocolate with coconut, then its sweet bourbon. Careful not to take in the aroma too hard. The alcohol will sting your nose. Talk about multi-personality, I can see sitting in front of a fireplace just to savor the sweet scents of this beverage. Taste is thick and syrupy with flavors of sweet creamy bourbon, coconut, a touch a raisin, toffee and caramel. Finish is quite warm from the high alcohol, smooth, creamy with a soft raisin and bourbon aftertaste. This is the most rich flavored barley wine Ive encountered. Special thanks to brewfiend for sharing this beverage and experience.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
abberverator (3) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2007 does not count
I think this is the best beer I have ever had in my entire life. Many thanks to Brad for sharing it with me. Wish I could afford it, but a delightful experience all in all.

Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - NOV 10, 2007
What can I say. Very powerful brew. Dark amber pour with no head. Sweet and thick with moderate legs. Tastes like a good port. Definitely a sipper.

BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2007 When I purchased my 07 bottles I was hesitant given the doubling of my ore-order price but a deals a deal. And such a deal at that! This was truly amazing. My coworker noted that shed never seen me like this and the look on my face was what she imagined hers looked like when confronted with a truly spectacular wine. The aroma was worth savoring for a full 20 minutes before delving in. Sweet caramel perfectly blended with vanilla and dark pitted fruits. As with most barley wines, I feared a cloying aroma and taste when so young. Twas not the case here. The still mahogany body revealed no such defect. In fact the smooth body was perfectly balanced. Just enough sweetness to remind me of the style but a pronounced maple flavor captivated my taste buds. The creamy smooth body revealed alcohol only on the finish. My next bottle shall lie in reserve for a truly memorable occasion.