overall

RATINGS: 984   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 810   ABV: 27%
To create Utopias, the brewers at Sam Adams used traditional brewing ingredients including all four types of Noble hops, which add a slightly earthy, herbal taste. The spiciness of the hops really comes alive. In fact, Utopias MMII has even been described by some as almost "fiery" -- a fitting description for the strongest beer in history. Beyond the special brand of hops, Utopias features ingredients that truly set it apart from other varieties of beer. Utopias MMII contains caramel and Vienna malts for its rich amber color and several different types of yeast including a variety found in champagne. $100 a bottle and it's limited to 3000 bottles, which look like copper brew kettles.

Experiment_Ale (1098) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 14, 2014
At common table with Taylor. Pours flat ruby read bronze cloudy. Aroma is huge musky earthy sherry, molasses. Taste is pungent molasses fig. It’s a slow sipper obviously, but a beautiful fig sugar plumb flavor that is savory and very nice. The burn is really soft and warming in a great way. I just need a fire, and a cigar.

SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 2, 2004
Thanks LANDSEER for this fine brew. Clear amber- red- copper in colour. The nose is malts wow with suggar and alcohol in the nose. The taste is so whisky like with lots of suggar and in the end of the bite there is this cool smokey flavour that just kind of lingers. This was great, not really a beer to me butman was this good. I cant fully begin to describe it.

mnmike (1091) - Minnesota, USA - APR 21, 2013
2 ounce pour. Aromas are heavy booze and bourbon. Sipping this sends the fire through your nostrils with some soy syrupy malt. Glad I tried this, but I’d never buy a bottle.

Acknud (1082) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - NOV 10, 2007
What can I say. Very powerful brew. Dark amber pour with no head. Sweet and thick with moderate legs. Tastes like a good port. Definitely a sipper.

DasBierChef (1081) - Hudson, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 29, 2012
This was heaven-sent. Pours dark and rich with an initial wave of strong alcohol in the aroma. The taste was amazing with burnt caramel, maple syrup and brown sugar all effectively hiding an absurd amount of alcohol.

NeoHippie2 (1074) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 16, 2011
Delicious. Amazing. I don’t even really know where to begin. I guess I’ll start by saying there is absolutely nothing I’ve had that I could compare this to. This is such a totally unique offering. On the nose I get dried fruits, cognac, brandy, wine, barely. Just a ton of different interesting smells. Tastes more like a fine cognac than a beer but still it is so good. No carbonation. If you have the opportunity to buy one, absolutely do it. So worth the money plus the bottle is cool as hell too. Great brew, I wish it was more readily available but I guess the rarity of it is part of what makes it such a treat.

gkost (1069) - Alaska, USA - SEP 16, 2009
Big thank you to tpd975 for the share! Pours a murky amber. Nose is big booze sweet ripe fruit, rich malts, port, vanilla, nuttiness. Flavor is WOW! Loads of sweet sugar and fruit, tangy sharp cooked plum syrup, sharp biting alcohol that burns your tongue, pungent raisin, loads of dry wood. Body is a syrupy, thick goodness. This "beer" is absolutely amazing! I need a bottle of this.

mentalmind (1068) - FINLAND - JUN 21, 2014
3cl shot at Mikkeller. Very nice licorice and cognac combination going on. I wouldn’t categorize this as beer amy more.

MmmcKay (1053) - Brentwood, Tennessee, USA - DEC 20, 2012
Finally got to try this epic brew thanks to John C. Thanks for the taste buddy. I must admit that it wasn’t really what I expected. That’s a good thing, because I was completely blown away. I heard that this was great, but I was expecting an ice-bock flavor. I was expecting boozy. Utopias is strong without a doubt but is rather well balanced in its flavor. This should be impossible given how much alcohol it contains. It’s also a crazy ass blend with more complexity than any beer that I’ve ever tried. It has notes of fruit, port, raisins, figs, soy sauce, fish sauce, sake, roast, malts, bread. I could go on but I can’t quite remember everything. This is a beer that has crazy high expectations but somehow manages to deliver. I can’t believe it, but this beer experience is actually worth the price of admission.