overall
RATINGS: 2608   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bold and rich, with a touch of holiday spice. The first thing one notices about a Samuel Adams® Winter Lager is the deep ruby color. Then comes the magical aroma which promises something special on the tongue. The cinnamon, ginger, and hint of citrus from the orange peel blend with the roasty sweetness of the malts to deliver a warming, spicy flavor. On the palate Samuel Adams Winter Lager is rich and full bodied, robust and warming, a wonderful way to enjoy the cold evenings that come with the season.

VTIrishman99 (64) - Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2003
Why do so many people like this beer? I tried one in a bar one day after a few preferred beers, cleansed my palate with some snacks beforehand, and still didn't think much of it. Expensive to boot... Incidentally, are we supposed to think that Sam Adams was some raging alcoholic or the like? Look at the label.

MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JAN 7, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2007 Rerate-12oz bottle at BW2: poured brown with a medium sized beige head. Light spice aroma, maybe a bit of ginger. Mild spice in the taste, again of ginger. Not as malty as I remember. Decent beer even if it has a short somewhat watery finish. Old rating: Decent malt flavor and a little spice coming through. Not bad at an airport. 5-3-6-3-12

jamrun (137) - Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA - JAN 5, 2003
nice color small roasted malt flavor no finnish just a beer nothing special

007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - JAN 5, 2003
This was okay... I can't really think of anything to say about it. Worth trying once. And only once.

BruceLeroy (111) - North Dakota, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Hmm, I seem to be in the minority here, but you can color me unimpressed. Why is it called a lager? I thought lagers had alcohol content of under 5%? This one you can taste the alcohol slightly. This beer MUST be served freezing cold to be enjoyed at all. Once the beer starts warming up, it becomes a challenge to finish. It becomes more bitter and flavorless. I recommend you take this beer out of the fridge and throw it in the freezer for about an hour before you consume. Or perhaps avoid buying it altogether. This beer is too bitter.

jb (3454) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 3, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2006 I really enjoyed this. Nice amber color, decent head. Not enough of an aroma about the only complaint. Nice palate and smooth clean finish. One of my favorite and the best Sam Adams I’ve had. On rerate, draft, this was enjoyable but just a bit above average

AxeMaster221 (342) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 2, 2003
Well, this had almost no nose, and a very light palate. Pretty high alcohol for a lagered weizenbock, but just not up to the competition of other winter brews.

slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JAN 2, 2003
Not bad kids... quite malty, with fruit undertones and a slight hop bite. Nice velvety palate... decent.

stoutosaurus (157) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - JAN 1, 2003
Despite some of the other tasters' low scores, I bought a sixer and found this to be a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. Would drink again. I am already a Sam Adams fan.

Jokes (1455) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 28, 2002
So I come here to rate this beer, and I'm shocked to see it's called a weizenbock. I'll agree that it's a decent lager, and probably better than most macro stuff, but this was no weizenbock. It was mostly malty with bready, biscuity notes. There was no banana, no clove, and only a touch of nut. As just a drinkable beer, it one of the better Sam Adams beers I've had. As a weizenbock, it's not very good.