overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2806   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - JUN 23, 2004
I, too, love dark beer, and this is no exception. Pours a lovely black with a brownish head. Very smooth for the style, but nonetheless makes its presence known in the aftertaste.

cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - JUN 20, 2004
First off, my must tell you--I LOVE DARK BEER! This beer DIDN"T let me down. Terrific melding of hops and malt, The lacing on the glass is like looking at a beautiful painting. If you love stouts as much as I do, buy this beer!!! If you don’t---BUY THIS BEER!!!

TJackHole (83) - Alabama, USA - JUN 18, 2004
nice medium head, very rich with a nice bitter taste not feeliing the christmas cake but chocolate for sure.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 17, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2006 My wife brought this back from her trip to New York for me and since I have only ever had the Oatmeal Stout from SS, I thought it was a good choice. After having a bottle, I can say I enjoy it even more than the Oatmeal, a beer I am quite fond of. Deep black pour, small brown/white head. Heavy chocolate and roasted smells. Good carbonation for a stout. Lots of chocolate and roasted barley in the flavour with a really good hop bite at the end. I didn’t notice the alcohol until it warmed up. My wife’s comments was that there was quite a bit of flavour for a stout and I agree – all the usual suspects are there, but it really comes together quite nicely, while not being overwhelmed by alcohol like many in this style are. Quite good.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 16, 2004
Nice dark brown/black pour, tan creamy head. Leaves a nice ring around the edge. Aroma is deep with chocolate, licorice. Taste is a bit burnt, with dark cherry licorice, burnt chocolate, and a slight bitterness. Feels a little oily on the palate, and its thick overall.

crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 16, 2004
Deep opaque black color. Sweet nose. Coffee, chocolate, and sweet flavors. Very creamy texture. There is also a light hop. Very drinkable. Samuel Smith never ceases to please.

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 15, 2004
imperial stout tasting, march 04: black, tight beige head. nice aroma of roasted malt, coffee, red liquorice, and a bit of fruit(apple?). more dried fruit in the flavour with dark chocolate, sweetened coffee and a biiter finish balanced between hop and roast. very nice.

maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - JUN 13, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2009 Bottled. An aroma of bitter chocolate as well as prunes dates and Christmas cake. The beer is black with an off-white head. The taste is full roasty and stout like with just a hint of mild coffee. Very nice. Score 4.0
Subsequent rating scored 3.8. Average becomes 3.9

turbothy (1141) - Bonn, GERMANY - JUN 10, 2004
Large, creamy caramel coloured head. Very nice dark dark brown colour. Smells of coffee and sweetness. Tastes of yeast, citrus and coffee. Smooth. Very near perfection.

wvernon1981 (21) - Springfield, Oregon, USA - JUN 10, 2004
Big, thick head. Beautiful fruit and coffee flavors. Bitter. Very smooth to the palate. Awesome beer.