overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Imperial Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2759   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Available filtered and pasteurised in clear glass bottles.
Rich, flavorful, deep chocolate color, scented and roasted barley nose. Complexity of malt, hops, alcohol and yeast.

Engelsmann (651) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 17, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2005 Very dark brow in colour, with a tan head. Aroma is roasted, almost burnt. The taste is malty, and roasted barley, with a splash of alcohol. Feels very smooth in the mouth

Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - MAY 17, 2004
Bottle at DBF 2004. Jet black with a nice tan head. Aroma is very roasty and burnt. Flavor is quite nice too, silky smooth. Need to do a re-rate on this.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - MAY 14, 2004
Sweet, thick, luscious, but as much as I like their other beers and others tend to love this, it’s just not all coming together for me.

wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 14, 2004
Bottle. Dark with ruby hue. Small tan head. Aroma is roasty with strong alcohol smell. Smells like....it took me a while to get it...tequila. Yeah that sounds weird, but that is what the aroma smells like. Tastes roasty and malty, with slight bitterness. Alcohol is not as strong in flavor, but there is some tequila in the flavor as well. Not bad for SS, but next time I think i’ll try the Cuervo.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 12, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2006 Boy do I like this beer. This is a very good example. Great color, deep black. Nice dark tan head...and that aroma. Wonderful. I like the last rater’s comment who described it as "...scotch, licorice...". I agree. I always felt it had that liquor feel to it. It is a bit thinner than I prefer, but that’s not a huge deal. If I want a chewy one (and I love ’em), I’ll opt for a Speedway Stout. The flavor is alcoholic---tasting stronger than the 7% would indicate. Letting it warm a bit really lets it show the chocolate and prune flavors with a nice big wash of coffee and a little hops. A good impy stout in a stupid clear bottle....a train wreck waiting to happen in each and every bottle.

ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 11, 2004
Jet black color with a thick head which is mostly retained. aroma is unique - red wine, scotch, licorice predominate. Not as heavily bodied as I would have expected - a little too fizzy for a stout. Flavor is good, but the alcohol flavor is a bit strong in my opinion. Tastes like scotch whiskey - which then turns over to smoke and coffee in the finish. Not bad, but there are better Imperial Stouts out there.

Lunkie (1956) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - MAY 11, 2004
Chocolate malt flavounr with black apperance and no head. Smooth malt flavour with long palate.

Kevin (2200) - Montana, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: APR 30, 2005 very heady, with a nice sweet aroma of molasses and burning caramel, dark head. chocolate and toffee and slight burnt coffee taste with some butterscotch thrown in to mess with my mind. i wasnt that impressed with the aftertaste, a bit of a slick dry cocoa that does not jibe somehow. not bad overall. it is a weird bottle.

Choos (754) - Taylors Hill, AUSTRALIA - MAY 8, 2004
Vinuous winey aroma with a generous amount of coffee, prunes and a hint of malt made me want to sniff this for hours. Appearance is fabulously black with a dark brown head, looks oily. Flavour was mochery and fortified wine fruity with a hint of yeasty balancing flavour. This was thick and smooth and incredibly balanced only loosing points because of the weird clear bottle.

Sancho (245) - Da Bronx, New York, USA - MAY 6, 2004
Bottled from happyydeli NYC- Smells and of coffee dark color brown head taste strong good shit thinner than i thought