overall
Tadcaster, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1650   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Pasteurised bottles only.
"Samuel Smith's India Ale is characterized by the colour of a golden sunset, a refined maltiness and an emphasis on the aroma and flavour from Britain's best hop gardens."

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - JUN 12, 2001
Mock me if you want, but any decent American IPA is better than the best English IPA, which this probably is. Nice malt presence and the Sam Smith's signature buttery flavor, but where's my hops? When I see the letters I-P-A, I want hops, and lots of them. Enjoyable beer, but the New World is the only place a hophead can truly be happy, gentlemen.

Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - JUN 4, 2001
Real nice and more typical of other English IPA's, that I have had there. well balanced hops with a great bitter finish.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 3, 2001
Malty-Fruity, Wholesome, Hoppy, & Tasty; what more could you ask from an English IPA? What a great brewery.

Saad (104) - Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 24, 2001
An excellent beer! I think this is one of the best Ales I have ever tasted and that says a lot. Samuel Smith know what they are doing when it comes to making IPAs.

Indra (2710) - Suburbia, Kansas, USA - JAN 1, 2001
UPDATED: APR 14, 2005 Enticing aroma with flowers, pine, light peppery spice, faint toffee, breadiness and a delicate pineapple, apple, citrusy fruitiness. Almost seems to tickle the nose! Pleasant light amber in color, slight haziness with an uneven, lasting head and delicate lacing. Flavor is exceedingly well balanced between the caramel, toffee and toasted bread malt flavors and the spicy, piney, very British floral hop bitterness. Velvety soft and smooth on the palate, with just the right amount of effervescence to keep it lively. Fading esters on the finish. Incredible talent on display here.

Deimos (81) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 15, 2000
This IPA really packs a punch! Good flavor, slightly bitter after taste. Aroma? I knew it would be good a soon as I opened it.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 9, 2000
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2003 The beer pours a translucent deep copper or mahogany if you prefer. Head is Bunyanesque, with a frothy texture, and light tan in color, as it dematerializes, it leaves behind a thick and clinging lace to the glass. The aroma of sweet ripe apples, a hint of the hop flowers, and a nice malt underpinning to cap off this exquisite nose. The start is malt and quite sweet, the top middling in its feel to the palate, the finish hop spicy, but not overpowering, the acidity moderate, and the aftertaste dry.

Sammys (427) - Portland, Maine, USA - DEC 8, 2000
What is it about English ales that they all taste so...English? I agree with everyone else on this one. Prominent malt presence, hops provide good balance and nice hoppy aftertaste. While I can't put my finger on why exactly, I just love this stuff.

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - NOV 6, 2000
A fairly typical English IPA. More sweet malt presence with a restrained hop profile. Only a mild hop aroma noted. Overall has a clean and smooth palate with a bready malt flavor. A good ale, but not as assertive as you may think an IPA would be.

bigred7 (44) - Sarcoxie, Missouri, USA - OCT 12, 2000
Brown, slightly cloudy appearance. A little too hoppy for me................