overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2198   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

novedyarg (55) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JUN 22, 2005
Bottle brown body with a nice light tan head. Aroma of roasted malts, caramel, and brown sugar with slight hop hint to it. Hazelnut like flavor with a smooth malty finish that is very refreshing. One of the best nut browns I’ve had.

DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUN 19, 2005
This is a good beer, no doubt, but the price tag puts a damper on the enjoyment thereof. Were I made of money, I might easier drink this, but as it is, I seldom do. Good aftertaste.

TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JUN 10, 2005
Dark brown with thin tan head. Aroma of brown sugar, roasted malt, and plums. Sweet nutty taste with hints of caramel. Very full and rich mouthfeel. Extremely well-balanced, finishes sweet with slight hop bitterness. One of my favorites.

OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - JUN 7, 2005
Not as dark as I thought it would be. Small quickly diminishing bubbly, slight tan head. I liked it about as much as I liked the taddy porter Very smooth with a nice clean aftertaste. It smelled somewhat like a porter beer. I couldn’t detect any nutty taste. I would probably drink this again given the chance. Overall I am impressed with Samuel smith beer.

DonMagi (5593) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - JUN 2, 2005
Aroma malty, slgihtly nutty. Taste is malt, rich malt with a dry aftertaste that is very nutty. Not really a big fan of this to be honest, i like malt but this is a bit harsh for me, would be nice with food though.

Gurst (338) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 26, 2005
Aroma is faint, but enticing. A wift of something that beckons you to take that first sip. The first sip comes with a thick smoothness, like melted butter. Taste is earthy though, with roasted chocolate beans, hazelnut, almond creme, and richly mellow citrus hops. Motuhfel is chewy and thick, but more thick than chewy unlike other brown ales. Taste of the hops pokes out a bit more in the end, but otherwise the taste stays consistent.

Dave420 (55) - O.C, California, USA - MAY 20, 2005
An outstanding beer. Definately one of the best, if not the best, beers ive ever drank. Tasted like Newcastle but with a little more flavor and aroma. Smooth nutty taste that just glides into my stomache. I just wish it was easier to find at stores and in six/twevle packs.

freekyp (2192) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 16, 2005
One of the classics! Earthy peaty aroma and flavor with a dry finish. Every so slightly sweet with chocolate and strong nut characteristics. Not one complaint except that I don’t have more of it.

mrnutsnbolts (204) - anywhere usa, - MAY 12, 2005
Bottle. Pours a coppery brown with a thick tan hed. Nose is of malts, nuts, and caramel. Taste is buttery, nutty, coffee, chocolate, and slightly sweet with a pleasant lingering bitter finish. Good session beer, for sure.

Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - MAY 11, 2005
Pours a nice tawny brown with a creamy layer of light tan head. Aroma is that lovely buttery-yeastiness that often characterizes Samuel Smith’s ales, along with a fine sweet herbal hop aroma. Alas--a hint of skunking, but not enough to be distracting. Beautifully soft, creamy and warming palate--a mouthfeel that reminds me very much of good hot chocolate. Buttery, toasty flavors with some port-like qualities. Restrained hops in the initial tastes, but a nice lingering bitterness. Post-rating, I tried this with some good funky British Stilton. A terrific pairing. Though I usually prefer much stronger Imperial Stouts with strong blue cheeses, the sweet, toasty quality of the beer nicely complimented the creamy minerally quality of the cheese.