overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Brown Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 2149   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Brewed at Samuel Smith’s small, traditional British brewery with well water (the original well sunk in 1758 is still in use), best barley malt, roasted barley, yeast and aromatic hops. Nut Brown Ale is relatively dry with a rich amber-brown colour and nutty flavour derived exclusively from small amounts of dark malt. Brown ales are a specialty of northern England. Fermented in ’stone Yorkshire squares’.

acsilver877 (10) - Arizona, USA - JAN 30, 2012
Bottle. This is one of my top two favorite beers from Samuel Smith. I could drink myself into the poor house on this beer.

foyle (422) - Wyoming, USA - DEC 19, 2014
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2015 Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass Appearance: pours a thick, sudsy off white head that slowly recedes with moderate lacing. Color is a mostly clear light brown with plenty of streaming carbonation. Aroma: rich roasted malts, caramel, nuts, earthy hops. Mouthfeel: medium bodied, frothy, with a wet finish. Flavor: terrific combination of roasted malts, sweet caramel, ripe fruit, and a definite nuttiness. There are some tangy and earthy hops in the backbone. Overall: a world class beer for sure. Perhaps the standard by which all other English style Nut Brown’s should be judged.

Spiceboy (12) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2015
Currently my Favorite Beer of All-time, that is good to the last drop:) Glad I can find it at my local Wegmans:)

Mmmmbeeer (14) - USA - NOV 3, 2007
Maaaan, this is my favorite beer of all time. I’m telling you, I don’t understand why other beers don’t want to be this good. Though I’ve had better and worse batches of this (maybe due to the clear glass bottle?), the first time I ever had it was just unbeatable. Look at that head! It’s what I consider perfect. It almost looks like food. Such texture. And the taste is just perfect. There’s a slight sweetness but not so much that you’d call it sweet, and I guess that’s part of the perfect malt-ness of it, which just gives it a perfect depth. Mix that with the color and the perfect mouthfeel and we have ourselves a winner. I would drink his brother John’s ale in my local in Scotland and was pissed when I actually went to York and couldn’t find Samuel’s on tap anywhere. Yarrrgh! I mean, it’s from there! or at least Yorkshire anyway. You’d think they’d have it on tap, but no, just John (this was ’96-97). So I’ve only ever had it in the bottle. But it’s still the best. I don’t even like brown ale otherwise. Newcastle, for example, tastes just about like brown water to me. I don’t understand why there’s no flavor in most of the browns I’ve tried. They really have no right to that color if they aren’t going to deliver flavor. It’s bait and switch I tell you. This one is nothing like other watery brown ales I’ve tried. Love me some SSNBA.

N3lson1 (1005) - Long Valley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 3, 2014
My all-time favorite beer. Dark, delicious, beautiful dark brown color, wonderful flavor. Great nutty flavor but not over powering.

Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 27, 2002
I have enjoyed all samuel smith products that I have purchased, this ale has a very distinct flavor and aroma but it is very enjoyable.

OldJack99 (114) - USA - OCT 12, 2002
the best..............................................

mrhoppy (1288) - Santa Clara, California, USA - NOV 16, 2011
Very dry. Excellent bitterness. Nothing sweet here. This beer defines the style. Pairs amazingly with beef. Caramel, wood, cork, nutty, mild spice. Carbonation on point. The finish is a long lasting lingering tasty bitterness. Wow! This beer really captures a cold muggy damp woody environment. Like the pub scene in the movie American Werewolf in London.

chappy5445 (2) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 20, 2014 does not count
The nicest English real ale I’ve had since I was in England and had Owd Roger. Very smooth with a good aftertaste.