overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 24, 2004
Nice look, killer-head, lacey all the way down the glass. The smell, slight coffee tones, earthy but a bit flat. Taste is malty up front, with hints of caramel, slight alchohol tingle at the back of tongue, finishing dry with a kind of citrus twang at the end. The oatmeal only coming in to play much later as my palate settled. Nice mouthfeel, found it medium bodied and only slightly robust with hints of oak and mesquite. It's a beauty to look at, mouthfeel is great, but I feel a little over-hyped. This could be that I find the Imperials to be a little more satisfying, which might hinder review a tinge. It's a good outing, some history and a bit of a cult following and for the most part a solid Oatmeal Stout and minus the hype, you might agree this is a 4 out of 5 star beer. Sure 20 years ago, this was cutting edge, but Stone's Imperial Stout is full on Rock N' Roll for the new millenium

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jde123 (775) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2005 Wow, what a great beer! The samuel smith brewery is one of the best in the world. This oatmeal stout transcends the traditional human senses and touches eternity. Perhaps that is a bit too lofty, but that was my experience while drinking it. Experienced a kind of euphoria that seldom occurs when imbibing beer, quite pleasant. Dark body, thick thick thick. Taste is complex and darker than anything I have tasted as of yet. I do like this one quite a bit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rajendra82 (1076) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - MAR 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2004 Chocolate brown. dense, and sticky body that is not quite opaque with ruby red highlights when held up to the light. Thick tall khaki head formed easily and receded to a quarter inch thick layer of bubbles on top of the beer. Wonderful lacing and head retention and medium carbonation. Smells like lightly roasted grains, caramel, and honey. Flowery hops with very mild bitterness. Taste leans definitely towards toward the fruity sweet end of the spectrum, with a mixture of plums, raisins, and cherries. Warming and soothing with a mouthfeel that is a bit thinner than most stouts. A restrained sweet stout that is easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
winkle (478) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - MAR 20, 2004
Pours a deep red/brown black colour with a dirty brown head. Nose is a good mix of malt and fruit. Flavour is impressive - some fruit (stewed plums?) and grain initally, followed by roasted notes and smooth oats. Good mouthfeel, has a malty sweet finish. A hyped beer that delivers the goods. I'll forgive them the clear bottle. Bloody nice stuff - recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tomxcs (321) - California, USA - MAR 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2004 Pours black with a lasting beige head. Sweet, somewhat fruity, alcoholic, dark chocolate aroma. Roasted flavors, molasses. Almost sweet but not quite -- sharp flavors. Goes down very well. Excellent.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
The Beer Dean (5) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAR 19, 2004 does not count
Sam uses hard clean water which makes every beer they brew crisp and complex. A fantastic beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
WastedYouthBrew (143) - Phila (Home of Geno's Steaks), Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2004
Such harsh comments for a delicious stout. I can truly say I never had the best stout, but I don’t mind hunting for it either. Nice smooth pour with a rich creamy head. Sweat smell. Excellent full body taste, that’s very demanding of the palate. The head disappears quickly, and you can actually listen and hear the head fizzle and snap as it evaporates. Is this beer is trying to tell us something? I’m a different kind of beer rater, as well as tasting and smelling, I listen to what my beer has to say. Its telling me to finish up and mosey on off to bed. Enjoyed this stout to the extreme. Would highly recommend, a real pleasure to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2004
UPDATED: APR 3, 2004 Dark brown in color; appears reddish when held in direct light. I wish the head would have been a bit thicker. Roasted coffee beans taste. Unfortunately, it didn't quite meet my high expectations, but it appeased my tastebuds enough that I might buy it again. *** I have had this beer again since my last rating, and I believe that the batch I drank before were skunky. This time, it was way better. Before, the extremely bitter taste (probably due to the skunkiness) turned me off; however, this time it was sweeter, and definitely more pleasant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - MAR 17, 2004
I didn't really like this one at all. Perhaps it needed to warm up a little. taste did not match my buds very well, not my cup of tea

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
cstuartj (1020) - Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Maybe I missed something here, but I dont see this as a top 1% beer. Overly bright and bit tiny, a bit thin in the mouth with the carbonation coming through strong in the drink which is very annoying to me. Underneath the carbonation and thinness there is a great beer here, nice roast, hops, earthly tons, etc.... but the mouth feel and carbonation keep coming back to haunt me. Ill be passing on this one in the future.