overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

WastedYouthBrew (143) - Phila (Home of Geno's Steaks), Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2004
Such harsh comments for a delicious stout. I can truly say I never had the best stout, but I don’t mind hunting for it either. Nice smooth pour with a rich creamy head. Sweat smell. Excellent full body taste, that’s very demanding of the palate. The head disappears quickly, and you can actually listen and hear the head fizzle and snap as it evaporates. Is this beer is trying to tell us something? I’m a different kind of beer rater, as well as tasting and smelling, I listen to what my beer has to say. Its telling me to finish up and mosey on off to bed. Enjoyed this stout to the extreme. Would highly recommend, a real pleasure to drink.

rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2004
UPDATED: APR 3, 2004 Dark brown in color; appears reddish when held in direct light. I wish the head would have been a bit thicker. Roasted coffee beans taste. Unfortunately, it didn't quite meet my high expectations, but it appeased my tastebuds enough that I might buy it again. *** I have had this beer again since my last rating, and I believe that the batch I drank before were skunky. This time, it was way better. Before, the extremely bitter taste (probably due to the skunkiness) turned me off; however, this time it was sweeter, and definitely more pleasant.

kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - MAR 17, 2004
I didn't really like this one at all. Perhaps it needed to warm up a little. taste did not match my buds very well, not my cup of tea

cstuartj (1020) - Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Maybe I missed something here, but I don’t see this as a top 1% beer. Overly bright and bit tiny, a bit thin in the mouth with the carbonation coming through strong in the drink which is very annoying to me. Underneath the carbonation and thinness there is a great beer here, nice roast, hops, earthly tons, etc.... but the mouth feel and carbonation keep coming back to haunt me. I’ll be passing on this one in the future.

guzzler67 (1696) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Deep dark brown appearance with a small head. Terrific aroma of coffee and rich, bittersweet chocolate. Sweet roasted malt taste with a very smooth, medium-to-full bodied mouthfeel. Nice bitter, somewhat nutty, finish.

kenaibrew (11) - Sterling, Alaska, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Not what I expected, a fairly decent stout but not quite top caliber. It had quite a bit of carbonation and the creamy head was gone much to fast, maybe Sam Smith should take a lesson or two from other great stout makers.

Wheatsheaf (104) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 10, 2004
Bottle. A near-black stout that pours with a creamy, light brown head. Sweet, enticing aroma of molasses, brown sugar, coffee ice cream, along with some dark fruit that gives some vinous notes. Excellent depth to the layers of flavours: caramel, molasses, fruit (dates, figs, cherries), dark chocolate, roasted malt, and hops. Silky and creamy palate, leading to a lingering bittersweet aftertaste. An accomplished and very enjoyable beer that is arguably Samuel Smith’s best.

MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAR 8, 2004
no aroma, fairly thin tan head, black body. high carbonation, very hoppy and not sweet as I anticipated. good toasted malt/espresso finish. very enjoyable but I was ready for something more fantastic than this. maybe it was the clear bottle.

jzzbassman (1638) - Arlington, Texas, USA - MAR 7, 2004
Just yummy. Really smooth, almost buttery, with less hops present. Very drinkable and a good one to share. Hardly anything anyone could call objectionable about this one. Well made.

jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2004
Poured pitch black with thin tan head. Aroma is sweet, aromatic and a hit of tartness. That tartness comest through a little bit in the flavor but it's mostly sweet, smooth, and really creamy. The mouthfeel, you guessed it, smooth and creamy, really awesome stuff. The drinkability is great, yeah it's roasted like most stouts are but the oatmeal makes it so smooth you can just sit back, relax and enjoy this one.