overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3222   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - DEC 16, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2003 fruit, a little bit sour, chocolate, and oatmeal. brown pour. big brown head, fizzy airy bubbles - almost like pouring a coke. it slowly calms though, then seems nicer... tighter bubbles, etc. nearly blackish brown body, brown/red highlights. feels great, smooth at first. as it warms it nearly stings a little. bitter, sour fruits, subtle chocolate. oatmeal? didn't stand out. soft, lip licking aftertaste that's not sour, but sweet though empty. eventually, near the bottom of the glass, the aftertaste becomes sour yet returns to sweet again. not what i want, but like a true masochist i enjoyed it. i've had better bottles of this, as far as i remember... something is up, too bad when i decide to rate it it's the most disappointing of all times. hmm. of course, this beer is common, so i'll re-rate to hopefully see the score jump. i'm guessing this beer just wasn't as fresh as it could be and maybe so because of shock from light. afterall, clear bottles...

Zeswaft (1775) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 16, 2003
I thought the bottle was brown until I poured it out, that's how black this beer is. A strong, molasses and chocolate taste but a little dissapointing. Aftertaste reminds me of a Newcastle. And at $8 a four pack it's one I can cross off the list.

Gunny (41) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 15, 2003
Opaque black with a smooth, tightly bubbled tan head. Licorice and chocolate on the nose. Licorice, molasses and sweet malt on the palate. I have grown to appreciate the nuances of this finely crafted brew.

Choos (754) - Taylors Hill, AUSTRALIA - DEC 11, 2003
Mocha nose to this brew. Beautiful black with brown cola like edges. I couldn't get a head on this for the life of me. Incredible creamy sweet mocha with a hint of fruit in the finish plus lightly hoppy aftertaste. Best rich mouthfeel with little carbonation. Wonderful.

psychoanalyst (16) - USA - DEC 10, 2003
Loved this beer. Rich malty aroma with hints of fruit. Nice balanced beer, medium dry finish.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2005 Fantastic. Beautiful to the eyes with its dark brown body and creamy tan head. The aroma is like mocha. The taste is wonderful. Rich and creamy, chocolate, buttery, slight coffee, full and rewarding. The finish is smooth as silk and leaves you wanting more.

OberonTheifEMT (56) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Sweet oatmeal goodness. If I could only have this beer until I die, I would be a happy man. Far sweeter than any stout I've tried to date. Malty and rich, this is one stout everyone who loves beer needs to try at least once. I can't imagine what this tastes like on tap. Sweet nose that is similar to the flavor. Can't say enough about this delicious beer

maltdog (626) - New Mexico, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Opaque cola brown, light brown head, very tiny bubbles. Sweet and syrupy aromas, molasses or brown sugar, vanilla fudge. Tastes of sweet malt and stewed fruits; roasty coffee and chocolate flavors emerge at the end. Finish is long and bittersweet, lighter than expexted, slighty tannic.

sethatuml (38) - USA - DEC 4, 2003
I felt that this was just far too sweet for my liking. I guess i prefer the richer, Imperial Stout style to the sweet stouts

GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - DEC 2, 2003
Got a bottle for my birthday. Was good but I expected more. Not as silky as i would have thought. I will re-rate soon to be sure.