overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

sethatuml (38) - USA - DEC 4, 2003
I felt that this was just far too sweet for my liking. I guess i prefer the richer, Imperial Stout style to the sweet stouts

GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - DEC 2, 2003
Got a bottle for my birthday. Was good but I expected more. Not as silky as i would have thought. I will re-rate soon to be sure.

rogueman (19) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 28, 2003
Pours nice dark brown with a white lacy head that lasts for awhile. Smells like brown sugar and apples-warm apple crisp. Mmmmm....warm apple crisp....mmmmm....beeeeer....52 slices of American cheeses...mmmmmm I like this beer. A great sweet stout for a great price. Highly recommended.

fiulijn (21511) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 25, 2003
Dark heart, brown head. Peculiar aroma: liquorice, curaçao, brandy, phenol, Porto, apples. God body, smooth and harmonious, but less interesting than the aroma lets hope. Perfectly balanced, leading to a correct final. Similar to, but poorer, than my favorite <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/ShowBeer London Porter.

IDogg (72) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 25, 2003
A fine beer with a nice dark color, light brown head, strong aroma with hint of oatmeal/ coffee. Full taste and nice stout feel. A great beer to spend the money on.

AlabastorJones (815) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2003
Its always around and its always good, the only brit cooler than Samuel Smith is Babar, becuase shit, nobody can mess with Babar, and I love peeling off the gold foil, it makes me feel like an elephant princess.

Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Dark black with ruby highlights. Thick diminishing tan head. Sweet chocolate and coffee aroma with a hint of roast. Medium-full palate with almost no carbonation, very creamy. Smooth, sweet flavor with notes of roast, coffee, chocolate, molasses and a hint of vanilla. Very tasty, an excellent stout!

Reid (2673) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2003
Bought in the clear glass 550ml bottle ( why clear?) This beer looks pretty darn good right from the first pour..seems to pour heavy it musters a large tan frothy head..but that only lasts a minute of two before it dissapates down to a thick lace around the glass edge. The beer it self is a deep dark mahogany brown..with some ruby highlights...nice. the smell is malty and fresh..can maybe sense some oats. This beer has a great chewy long lasting tatse for one so low in alcohol..good job.. i taste some malt, some choclate ( milk chocolate for a change) some coffee undertones and a creamy taste right at the end..very well done. Mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth yet not lacking in taste bud tingling!! My Lord a very drinkable stout..if this were not so exspensive i could see me downing quita few of these most weekends!! Overall great beer.

Hangover (1152) - oxford, Georgia, USA - NOV 18, 2003
Smells of vanilla with a hint of alcohol. Not as smooth as some other stouts, but that is mostly due to the sweetness I think. Initially sweet and thick... with a roasty, coffee finish. It's really good... I think most stouties will dig this offering from sammy smith.

slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - NOV 16, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2005 The first time I rate this, I was knocked over. I thought I had just purchaced an average english stout, I was new! Little did I know this would grow to be an easy to get favorite. Average brown-white (not really tan) head over nearly opaque ale. There is a very fresh scent in the dark beauty, like fresh fruit or something. Has that same hard water taste, a little too much but I guess that makes that palate. Mouthfeel is so smooth. Leaves good lacing. I’ll continue to come back to this one.