overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3357   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - JUL 18, 2003
This was a the best oatmeal stout I've ever tried. The balance of the flavors works perfectly.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 17, 2003
UPDATED: APR 5, 2005 Gorgeous thick frothy beige head. Opaque with dark muddy color. Aroma of weak coffee plus a faint sour smell. Dark chocolate mocha flavors. Reminds me of Mexican chocolate. Palate is rich and smooth, not too heavy. Pleasing aftertaste lingers forever. This beer can be enjoyed 15 minutes after your glass is empty. Overall a very good beer with wide distribution and you have to love that. Wherever you go, a bit of Tadcaster is likely to be there.

changxao (104) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 12, 2003
One of my favorites so far. I don't have much experience with oatmeal stouts, but this beer was exceptional. Nice color, aroma, head, and lacing. The flavor was mellow and very slightly sweet. Could stand up to strong flavored food nicely, and would go well with beef. Would suggest even to non-stout drinkers.

biomechanic (55) - Washington, USA - JUL 9, 2003
This beer is good but not exceptional. Kinda sweet but not much. Everything from this brewery seems to be decent.

wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 7, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2007 Horrible vegetal nastiness in a bottle. I’ve retried this a dozen times since my initial rating and have never been able to get beyond the oats lending a cabbage/broccoli flavour.

Black body with a lasting, creamy, light-brown head. Aroma of chocolate, molasses and burnt oats. Also doughy with a tinge of alcohol. Flavor is heavily sweet with a moderately sweet, moderately bitter finish. Full, creamy body. Almost a hint of dairy as it warms.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2003
Were it not for being as sweet as it is (which is fitting for style, if not m,y pallette) I would rate this tops. Hey. it's summer in Texas and I'm drinking a stout and loving it. If that doesn't show some respect, think about it a minute. Lovely full head that makes me take a minute before burying my face in it. fantastic finish, but did I say I find it a tad sweet? Once I get past that I just love it.

DuffManOhYeah (133) - USA - JUL 3, 2003
Exceptional color, extremely dark. The taste is definitely of a stout, but unlike any other I have ever tasted. Great head, mocha/oatmeal flavor. The texture is just right too. Highly recommended.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2003
Deep brown/black with gorgeous ruby flashes when held up to the light, and a soft mocha head. Aromas of bitter chocolate, sweeted coffee and roasted oats. Silky, creamy mouthfeel. Sweet chocolate malted flavour, with a perfectly balanced bitterness in the finish. Mmmmmmm!

adwoan99 (305) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
This beer pours almost black, with a bit of red around the edges. Aroma of toasted malt assaults the nose. I taste toasted malt and oatmeal (of course), in addition to an almost berry-like sweetness, towards the finish. I enjoyed this very much, and can see myself drinking it after a nice cook-out, beside the pool, with a good cigar.

bowen008 (134) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
This beer was good. Especially with desert. Satiny, creamy choclate taste. Pours thick. Yummy.