overall
Brewed by Samuel Smith
Style: Sweet Stout
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 3237   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980.

Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

slange1299 (6) - Superior, Colorado, USA - SEP 3, 2001 does not count
all i have to say is mmmmmm....its like dessert!............................

daliles99 (6) - USA - SEP 11, 2001 does not count
Definitely one of my favorite stouts........................................

cruz22499 (20) - Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 12, 2001
Now this is what I call a world class beer..................................

twierz99 (15) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 26, 2002
This is awesome. After my first one, I had to have a second to make sure it was really THAT good. And, yeah...it is. Thick, dark, smooth, great flavor, great head, and did I mention smooth?

darkstarvn99 (5) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAR 12, 2002 does not count
This beer is the bomb, the diggity dank. In fact if Bud hadn't stolen the sloagan ' king of beers' I'd crown this jewel of a beer with that title. My only problem with this beer is you simply can't drink 4-5 of these in one night.

LordNeuf (136) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 12, 2002
Yes, we have a winner. A SUPREME example of a oatmeal stout. Hearty and strong in flavor, yet smooth going down. A absolute cruxible for beer tasters. If you do not like this, then you're not one for stout.

slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 10, 2002
This silky smooth sweet stout is ALL what it;s cracked up to be. This is the very best stout ans possibly the very best beer ive ever drank. Words cant describe this brew, just go find some and sip away!

garrison (812) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2003
A great beer, with rich, full body and taste... this is one of my favorite beers! It's rather hard to find in the Ohio boondocks, but well worth the searching effort once one finds it!

evilpsych (34) - USA - SEP 2, 2003
yummy. all to describe it. Had this at a pizza shop in Ouray, CO. very stoutish but not overpowering that a non-stout lover couldnt try it. Chocolaty with a sweetish finish. darker than morgan freeman.

crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 7, 2004
The first words that came out of my mouth when if first tried this beer was, "Wow, this is the best beer I have ever had!" As I have tried more and more top beers, a lot have come close or equal, but this will definitly be one of my favorite for a long time. Absolutly incredibly smooth and tasty. A nice warm oatmeal taste backed up with cream, coffee, and chocolate. Delicious.