overall
Tadcaster, England
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 686   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Golden colour, floral bouquet and light flavour of newly mowed hay.

Brewed with great care using only malted barley, hops, medium-soft water and a bottom-fermenting yeast; matured at low temperatures to bring out its delicate flavour and soft hop-character finish.

The cold maturation period allows the bottom-fermenting yeasts to secondary ferment and improve the lager’s flavour, purity and condition.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 29, 2001
A great lager. Solid body and flavor and very smooth. I liked it, but am careful to realize that Samuel Smith is the kind of beer where you must only have one or so to really appreciate the craftsmanship.

morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 15, 2002
..................................................

raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - MAR 10, 2003
Hazy golden,with a big,white,head. Good,floral,toffe-malt,aromas are well balanced.Mouthfeel is nice,not over carbonated. Good malty flavors with a nice,floral finish.Malts linger in finish as well.This is one of my favorite lagers.Always enjoy drinking this.

RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - NOV 6, 2003
Poured a clear golden color wit ha decent sized white head. Nice, citrusy aroma. Light carbonated mouthfeel. Flavorful, lightly hopped ... a nice, clean finish. Very good beer.

lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 9, 2005
From a 550ml bottle. Poured a bright gold with a very light whiote head that dissipated within 2 minutes. Little if any lacing. Tiny sparking bubbles. The smeel was almost non-existent but sweet, like fresh cut grass. Smelled a bit creamy? I must admit I was a bit disappointed when I tasted it. Tasted of light, bright malt with just a hint of hoppy aftertaste. Light bodied and pleasant but nothing special whatsoever. What a letdown! However, as it warmed a bit and I got used to the subtle flavors (I had the whole 550ml in one sitting so these impressions are from the second glass) it is remarkably complex for a light lager. I would attribute this to two things: 1. The hops that are used are different from the hops I have tasted in most American light lagers. (My buds aren’t sharp enough to tell what kind) 2. There is a subtle creaminess similiar to the creamy taste of their oatmeal stout. One of my new favorite lagers but I really had to give it a chance.

davidm (2081) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - APR 26, 2013
Bottle from Parkhill. Very intense for the style. Aromas of citrus. caramel, hay, nutty. Taste is sweet, with average length. Velvety.

AAEA (266) - California, USA - JUL 16, 2014
17.7 FL OZ ($5.99) very good lager, im not really into lager but this was a surprise. this was good

Mackeon (163) - - JAN 17, 2015
Excellent lager, very idiosyncratic hoppy, lemony aroma, good carbonation, very refreshing, clearly English bitter or maybe pale ale influenced the brewers at Sam Smith’s when they came up with this. And an equally idiosyncratic label, too.

Bill Becker (1368) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 16, 2017
From Sept 2005 Poured nice with a decent head and very nice gold color. A bit weak in malt and hops but pretty well balanced. This is my first organic and I'm not sure how that helps the beer overall but this one is pretty darned drinkable so I'll buy it again and for the US$3.07 price tag, it's a pretty good bargain. Update: I'm enjoying another bottle of this very nice lager. It poured(room temp) a light gold with a large head of foam that dissipated slowly. The smell is sweet with some fruitness. The taste is fairly hoppy at the start and then the malt moves in and creates a balance that makes this lager a pleasure to drink. Darn good stuff!!