overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 1702   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Each year the label has a different picture.
Ingredients: Water, malted barley, yeast, hops, seaweed finings, carbon dioxide.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Goblincat (399) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Pours golden brown. Smells like a mix of toasted oats, malt, and skunk. Clear bottle seems to be a poor choice, but Ill try to ignore the skunkiness. Tastes smokey, malty... maybe some coffee. I expected much more from the brewery that made such a great Imperial Stout. Overall seems like it could be good, but it also seems to be lacking something and the skunky touch hurts.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Bottle. Vewry light orange body capped with a dense thick off white head. Nose smells like malt and smoke. First flavor to hit you is smoke-like cigarette smoke. Next flavor is caramel, prune, cherry, and sugar. Once you get past the cigarette smoke flavor, it isnt bad. The sweet fruit flavor is balanced with the bitterness fairly well. I just cant get past the smokiness. It is like licking a dirty ashtray.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
obisbeer (568) - Barcelona, SPAIN - JUL 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2004 Orange/red with large bubbles. Creamy malty nose, some spice, pear/peach with some hops. Chocolate, carmel and some toasted marshmallow. Short slightly acidic finish. Not my favorite winter beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopdog (11888) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Ive gotten a case of this beer for at least the last 10 years. My X-Mas is not complete without a Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome (goes back to my teenage years of drinking Samuel Smith Pale Ale - sentimental brew). Notes on the 03 beer. Poured a orange/amber color with an averaged sized, off white head. Malty smells and flavors. This is more of a Pale Ale/Strong Ale than a Winter beer but a good beer none the less.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 30, 2004
Bottle. Really dissapointing. Raisiny sweetness, not much hops in the finish, Feels a bit thin and sweet to me, sticky ans imple, fizzy aswell. Not a good winter warmer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Hildigltur (5105) - Kbenhavn, DENMARK - JUN 30, 2004
Amber coloured. Fruity aroma. Very fruity flavour with a dry finish. Not much Winter about this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JUN 25, 2004
Bottle. Orange yellowish in color. Tan head. Malty. Nutmeg, spicey aroma. Full bodied. Well balanced. Good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JUN 25, 2004
660 ml bottle. Orangish yellow and clear. Tanish head. Looking like mai-bock. Malty aroma. Big malty flavor, thick and sweet. Wheres Christmas? Tastes a little like a mai-bock. there is a touch of bitterness there somewhere.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 24, 2004
I didnt feel welcomed at all by this beer, but then again it wasnt winter time. Smells like horrific skunk. I cracked the top and thought I was opening King Tutankhamens tomb for the 1st time. Amber colord with a small head. I bougth this in June, so it might have gone bad. Has the signature Sameul Smith taste that I have found in their brews. I cant really say much until I have one that I am sure is fresh. I dont recommend buying this unless you know it is. It wasnt too bad when I had it, but no distinct tastes.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
mohawksin (187) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 24, 2004
My Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome Ale 2003/2004 was an experience. Upon first opening it smelled like a urinal. It had no head at all, even after shaking it up a bit. Nice amber color to it. The taste was all alcohol. I tried to taste something other than that but couldnt. I feel bad to rate this so low. I will revisit if I can.