overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 1701   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Each year the label has a different picture.
Ingredients: Water, malted barley, yeast, hops, seaweed finings, carbon dioxide.

Crockett (1117) - Southampton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 23, 2004
Pours amber with a surprisingly lasting short tan head. Apple, spice, toffee and hop in the aroma. Pleasing clean grapefruity hops. Caramel and toasty malts. Some spice. Alcohol present throughout with a little more heat in the finish. The bottle was mildly skunked.

biznizness (1128) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 23, 2004
I had no idea what this was when I ordered it... and I had no idea what it was when I was drinking it. Couldn’t quite put my finger on it... just seemed like a plain old ale. The thought of "strong ale" actually passed through my head, but then I checked the abv and saw that it was 6%. Really, what good is a strong ale that isn’t strong? Disappointing beer.

bb (9268) - Alamo, California, USA - SEP 18, 2004
Bottle. 2003 vintage. Dark amber beer with a big off-white head. Sweet malt aroma with lots of caramel flavors. There’s a little floral hop and spice, but the caramel flavors are the biggest. Slight skunkiness that’s probbaly due to the clear bottles.

zach8270 (4022) - Henrietta, New York, USA - SEP 14, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2008 [12 oz. bottle - 2003 vintage] Clear coppery color with a thin white head. Spicy and slightly bitter nose with floral hints, hops and sweet malts. Sweet and malty taste with a slightly spicy middle and a light, floral finish. Aftertaste is slightly bitter with a touch of malt.

igel (196) - New Mexico, USA - SEP 3, 2004
Presentation: 550ml Bomber bottle. A transparent copper color with a creamy off-white head. Effervescence is strong and it has a light lace without a lot of clinging. Aroma is spicy with some malt and hops. The flavor has an astringent quality with a spicy middle and a lingering hop finish (could not taste much on the front end). Mouthfeel is light and effervescent. IMHO: This is a fair light ale, but does not seem to be much of a winter warmer. I had a couple of these earlier in the season and they seemed a little fresher.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - AUG 29, 2004
2001 bottle, reviewed in December ’02. Now why is it I never saw the ’02 anywhere? So, the question is :how does it hold up after a year? Thin white head, dark reddish appearance. Vinous nose, raisin, reminds me of a barleywine, but just a smidge. Spicy, aromatic, with notes of vanilla, sweet and malty. Smooth, and quite downable, with just enough flavor. This used to be a wintertime staple for me, but I’ve fallen for the darker, bolder type of winter ales. Quite good after 12 months, nothing wrong with it at all, though it tastes maltier than bottles I had last winter. years ago, i used to love this beer. Something happened to one of us...

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUL 30, 2004
Bottle pours a nice copper color with a real good off white head and some lace. The aroma is of biscuit malt and ultralight floral hop. The flavor starts out malty and goes through to slightly hoppy and finishes with some sort of twangy off taste. The palate is what it is....tolerable. Overall, nothing real special, but the bottle looks nice on my shelf. Not worth going out of the way to obtain.

davidflores99 (225) - Signal HIll, California, USA - JUL 28, 2004
I got this beer in a case with different brews of the season, it wasn’t too great. Had a brownish appearance with a white creamy head and had floral aroma. Not too impressed with this.

Goblincat (399) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Pours golden brown. Smells like a mix of toasted oats, malt, and skunk. Clear bottle seems to be a poor choice, but I’ll try to ignore the skunkiness. Tastes smokey, malty... maybe some coffee. I expected much more from the brewery that made such a great Imperial Stout. Overall seems like it could be good, but it also seems to be lacking something and the skunky touch hurts.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Bottle. Vewry light orange body capped with a dense thick off white head. Nose smells like malt and smoke. First flavor to hit you is smoke-like cigarette smoke. Next flavor is caramel, prune, cherry, and sugar. Once you get past the cigarette smoke flavor, it isn’t bad. The sweet fruit flavor is balanced with the bitterness fairly well. I just can’t get past the smokiness. It is like licking a dirty ashtray.